how much to feed

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by mamalisa, Apr 5, 2005.

1. mamalisa

mamalisa Well-Known Member

I'm feeding my new piglets 16% grain mix with skim milk/whey/extra eggs etc added, they seem to just love it. I'm feeding twice a day. The piglets are about 9-10 weeks old.

Can someone give me a rough guess on quantity per piglet? I've been tipping out waste so the chickens can eat it, but still.......

2. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

if you have waste then youre feeding too much , why are you tipping it out, are they simply not finishing it, or are you afraid it will "go bad"
    are they in pens or on pasture?
    that makes a difference too , of course:D

how many pounds appx and what breed are they , that will make a difference on feed amounts
    theres so many variables,
    but i would go off of if they arent finishing it , then youre giving too much
    waste is a sign of overfeeding

3. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Free choice all they can eat at this stage of growth. At this age this is the cheapest gain you will have. The conversion rate (somewhere around 1 lb of gain for 2.2 lbs. of feed) is high when the pigs are small.

4. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

i just wanted to add , that i am going off of how we raise, and ours have acess to good forage and pasture, so i dont feed as much grain as someone raising in confinement would use .

5. mamalisa

mamalisa Well-Known Member

They have grass, etc in their pen and eat at it all day long....3 little pigs about 35 lbs each? They are white with floppy ears. I got them from the guy who helps me out with stuff.

I didn't want to keep the food out overnight 'cause I was afraid it would attract predators, I know we have foxes and I think a raccoon or two. I left them this morning with enough that they had extra to munch on, and I'll give them more when I get home, but I'm trying to get to the point where they eat all their stuff up by dark.

6. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

all right , now i have to admit i dont know how many "pounds" per se that i feed,
    my little pigs get a 3 gallon bucket, twice a day of grain and produce,milk etc, they usually eat it
    mainly veggies and milk
    less of the grain , maybe 5-6 lbs of grain ,they are on 1/2 acre pasture
    right now i have 1 feeder pig, he is on about 1/3 acre , himself and gets 1 3 gallon bucket a day
    my sow gets 2 of them a day, but she has 7 piglets
    and she has 1/3 acre too

i woudl still maintain that if theres food left, i would either go to feeding only in the morning to give them time to finish it , or cut back a little on what youre feeding, my pigs are just that PIGS, it seemed even if they got an extra bucket of food, they still ate it all , even a couple of times they got2 extra buckets of feed, and they STILL ate it all.....

shrug
    i dunno

ADDED : what i am getting at, without tiptoeing , is that chances are if they are on good pasture, what youre feeding is for lack of a better word a "treat" if they arent eatign it its because they arent hungry, this is a good thing , cause it means youre feeding them good forage and thats meeting all thier nutrition needs feed them thier grain ration in the morn, they should finish all of it by afternoon, if not, then feed less
    our schedule for feeding is 1 bucket at about 8 am , and the secodn at about 3-4 in the afternoon, so yeah its all gone by night time

except the soaked beans we fed them , they didnt like them at all, but now they are sprouting and growing in thier pen , im sure they will eat them now :D