How Much To Feed My Four Boys?

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by HogEmAll, Aug 21, 2005.

1. HogEmAll

HogEmAll Well-Known Member

Hi there,

I'm trying to find out how much food a pig should be offered per day. Is there a formula? Like 1 lbs of food for every 10 lbs of pig or something? I have 2 boars and 2 barrs, and I've been feeding them a 1:1 mixture of cracked corn and swine pellets(16% protein) twice a day. 6 pounds in the morning and 6 pounds in the evening. Is this enough? My pigs certainly aren't skinny, infact they look rather healthy. But when it's feeding time, they act like they haven't eaten in a week! Is that normal? Here are the weights of my four boys....

Boar #1......Russian.........8 months......about 175 lbs

Boar #2.....Feral Hybrid.....8 months.....about 150 lbs

Barr #1.....Piney Woods.....6 months.....about 125 lbs

Barr #2.....Piney Woods.....6 months.....about 100 lbs

Like I said, I've been giving them 3lbs of Cracked Corn and 3lbs of Swine Pellets(16% protein) twice a day. I mix it all up in a 5-gallon bucket, then dump that into their trough. I'm thinking about adding an additional 3lbs of Cracked Corn, thereby achieving a 2:1 ratio of Corn and Pellets. What do you think? These hogs don't have to gain weight fast like a domestic hog. I just don't want them going hungry. My sows are eating a 2:1 mixture of Cracked Corn and 16% Pellets in a Free Choice Feeder. I'm not worried about them, as they are growing nicely and they seem content.

So yeah, is there some kind of formula out there I could use?

Thanks for any feedback!

Regards,
    Axel

2. bill not in oh

bill not in oh Well-Known Member

What are you growing these pigs for - breeding, freezer, pets?

Is that 6 lbs each or 1.5 lbs each?

Are they being raised in confinement or on a pasture? If pasture, are there good plants for them to consume, or weeds and grass and how large an area?

I'm not familiar with the breeds, but if I were growing Yorkies for the freezer, I'd be barbquing them at 8 months.

3. Hog_Em_All

Hog_Em_All New Member

Right now I'm feeding all 4 of them together. They're in a large enclosure...very little forage matter, though. I dump those 6 lbs into their trough twice a day and all 4 eat out of there. So yeah, I guess each one is getting about 1.5 lbs, twice a day.

These aren't like Yorkies...they'll never gain weight that fast. These are a wild/feral breed. I'm keeping them for breeding(in the future) and the occasional BBQ.

4. beeman97

beeman97 Well-Known Member

1.5 lbs 2 times a day is far from beeing enough for them to live on ,,, especially if there is little to no vegatation for them to eat. i would up there ration to about 6 to 8 lbs lbs a day each.

5. Hog_Em_All

Hog_Em_All New Member

Really?? You would think that if what I'm giving them is way too low, that they would be skinny and sickly in appearance. Why do they look so damn good then? I don't get it.

6. Snakeoil

Snakeoil Well-Known Member

1.5 pounds twice a day is not near enough feed at the weights you give. :1pig:

7. frog1437

frog1437 Well-Known Member

I think you would be suprised as to what these pigs are eating. If you have them in a large pen they are probably finding roots,grubs and other things to eat "for now" but as their natural resources are eaten you will need to supply more feed or a bigger pen . just my 2cent

8. HogEmAll

HogEmAll Well-Known Member

Thanks for the input, folks. I've decided to feed my four boys 18 lbs of feed per day. 9 in the morning, and 9 in the evening. I think most of you are under the impression that wild/feral hogs need as much food as their domestic counterparts, when in truth, they don't. I'm not raising these hogs for maximum weight gain. It's more of a hobby, really. If I notice that my hogs are getting skinny or loosing weight, I'll increase their feed, but untill then, I think 18 lbs is plenty. They do a little foraging, but not much. But judging by their body mass and overall health, they seem to be doing just fine. When I first got into this, I figured that there isn't much difference between domestic and feral hogs. But as time goes by and I gain more experience with these rascals, I find more and more differences. I'll keep you all updated as I learn more. I'm really enjoying this experience.

Thanks again,
    Axel