How much to feed a PBP

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by dunroven, Jan 31, 2005.

1. dunroven

dunroven Well-Known Member Supporter

Well, our little sow has just come off of the milk replacement and onto pig starter. Of course with it being winter and her always being an indoor pig, she is still on my front porch, but she is really growing! How much should I be feeding her of the pig starter on a daily basis? I don't want her to get too fat like old Harley was and I don't want to have her be too hungry either. We want to get a boar to go with her and raise them for meat. You all know best, so I'll be waiting and watching for a reply! Thanks again everyone!

2. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Well-Known Member

If she is pastured and has a nice pen with plenty of dry hay or straw, she may only need a cup or two of corn per day. toss in some oats here and there, and grass clippings in the spring. Veg pealings etc. Watch her weight. seeing a couple ribs on a sow is healthy, but more than three and she's probably hungry. Intact boars will be more active and have a heavier hide and meat, so 4-5 ribs is ok.

3. dunroven

dunroven Well-Known Member Supporter

Thanks George! She is really starting to grow, and with the warmer weather that is starting to come out way, (if the ground will thaw a bit), she will be moving out soon! Can't wait for that. My poor old front porch (even though we are going to tear it off), may not outlast her, and man can that pig run!

We have her on pig starter pellets right now, so I will watch and keep her at that 4-5 rib area. Then we just have to find a boar for her. She can be bred, is it at 6 months? And then how long between litters do you go before breeding again?

Sorry, but I'm really new at this and want to do good. Hoping to provide some food for my hubby, myself, and some friends who are really low on funds. Of course they don't have to know it is pot bellied pigs, but we are also raising rabbits, big old Flemish Giants and some Californias and New Zealands as well as some chickens. We have a bunch of people here who need the meat, and we have a huge garden area to help them as well. They are all going to help with the garden and with the butchering when the time comes, but they will probably be in the buildings and never see the carcas, so they won't really know what it is they are getting. These folks are city folks, so they will just think it is regular pig meat! LOL Just proves that what you don't know won't hurt you, huh? LOL!

4. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Well-Known Member

PBP's can get pregnant as early as 2 months on occassion, that said, it generally isn't very healthy for the mother or piglets. If you can wait til she's at least 9 months it would be better