How much to ask for flatbed trailer

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by vickinell, Oct 13, 2004.

1. vickinell

vickinell Well-Known Member

I have a 16 foot heavy duty flatbed trailer with 2 foot mesh metal sides. It is a tandem axle. I have been keeping for my son, he said I could sell it and to not take less than 350 for it. My friend that is doing honey dos for me said he thought it was worth 1000. Now, I am really confused. I would like to ask a fair price. My son is in prison. The trailer has been in the extra lot beside my house. Several people have stopped and asked if it was for sell. I told the last man, a neighbor I would sell it and he asked what I wanted for it. I asked what he thought and he said he did not know what it was worth. What do you think would be fair? It has been sitting there for over 5 years. The tires are flat.

Should I fix the tires and give it a spray can paint job? Thanks for your advice.

I also have a utility trailer. The honey do gentleman is doing work around my house to purchase it. He has put an attic ladder in my attic and plyboards down up there, plus wired my storage building for electricity and put up floresant lights, and a few other stuff.

I also have an old mercedes and lots of parts for mustangs: hubcaps,mirros,ect.plus 3 or 4 sets of rims. I am trying to unclutter some of my husbands collections. lots of baseball cards

2. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Go get an 'auto trader' at your local convience store to compare like items prices.

Edited because I mis read the word trailer, was thinking of a truck.

3. ed/IL

ed/IL Well-Known Member

Sat for 5 years. Needs tires, wheel bearings, probably needs the lights worked on. The springs may or may not be good. May have other problems. Take offers $350 might be a little low. A title would be nice. Do you have one.

4. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

.............. Vickie , If , the tires are Fair and will hold air and the floor is in decesnt shape , I'd run it in the paper for atleast $795 . If, there are NO takers , wait a couple of weeks and run another ad for $750 . You should always ASK more than you expect to get in any event ....fordy... :eek: :)

5. sidepasser

sidepasser Well-Known Member

HI,

I bought a brand new 16 ft. double axle flat bed trailer that will haul 10,000 lbs for $1,000. It has metal side rails and two ramps and four new tires, lights and electric brakes. However, the only reason I got it for that price is I also bought a 25 HP tractor and 5 implements of farm destructions :haha: .

Most used trailers of the sort you have go for around $700 to $900 here. I'd pump up the tires, check the bearings and get your "honey do" guy to repack them if necessary, make sure any wood is in good shape and advertise it for at least $800. The plus is you can always come down, but if you let it go too cheap..you'll lose money.

For comparison, I paid $150 for a 12 foot flatbed that had four "I hope I make it home with this thing" tires, no electric brakes, but did have lights, no side rails and no ramps. It is homemade out of creasote 8" x 8" posts on a metal frame. I got it at auction as I needed a small flatbed to haul a 6' foot bushhog and a finishing mower on. But had to replace the four tires, rework the lights, and will have to put some side rails on it.

Sidepasser

6. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

If the floor is good, if it has brakes, if the tires can be pumped up to be round, & if it has a licence/ can be easily in your state - it should go around $700. Give or take, of course.

--->Paul

7. gobug

gobug Well-Known Member Supporter

I'd say its worth a thousand here in Denver, provided you touch it up with a little paint, fix the tires, and insure the lights and brakes work. If you are not near a big city, you might have to take less. Check your local convenience store for one of those magazines like the ones they sell cars. I recently saw one with construction equipment that included tractors, trailers and such. You could check prices, and maybe even advertise it over a larger area. Good luck.

8. vickinell

vickinell Well-Known Member

Thank you all so much for the advice. I do have a title for it. I did not know it had brakes.

9. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

Trailers over about 3000# loaded weight in most states _need_ brakes to be legal. So, it is worth a lot more to have working brakes than to not have working brakes. A tandem axle trailer should be licenced at around 6000# gross weight....

Some states like mine have agricultural exemptions where an ag trailer does not need to be licenced nor meet all the stringent codes. Then you do not need to be so worried about the details. But to sell it as a licenced titled trailer it will pay to get these code issues working properly, or a buyer would have a difficult time even towing it home... Have to know what the local laws are on all that. Paint is the last thing to worry about.

--->Paul