Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just received 2 little goats ages 3 and 4 months old but i have no idea how much food to give them per day. We have been giving them handfuls of hay and about half a cup of oats and pellets, plus banana peels, apples, and carrots. We are brand new to goats. Any help is appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
12,837 Posts
If they are male, be extremely careful with grain. A lamb or goat feed balanced 2:1 Ca:p is necessary to prevent bladder stones which lodge in the urethra and will kill a goat. For research purposes (which I strongly reccomend), the condition is called urinary calculi or UC.

Reactions: Alice In TX/MO

·
Premium Member
42,771 Posts
I'd feed them no more than 1/7 of a weeks rations. Unless they are nursing little ones or being milked they can do fine with browsing brush or decent dry hay. Grass hay is fine too. It doesn't take much to keep them going and healthy.

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
42,267 Posts
Urinary Calculi, commonly called "Water Belly," is a urinary-tract blockage in goats. Urinary Calculiprevents both urination and breeding in males. ... Urinary Calculi is almost always the result of improper feeding. A calcium to phosphorus ratio of 2-1/2 to 1 in feed and minerals is essential.

- Union Creek Ranch website

·
Super Moderator
12,837 Posts
It' supposed to be Ca : P ratio, but if you put : and P next to each other, you make an emoji. ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts