How much should rabbits drink??

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by peisue, Dec 1, 2005.

1. peisue

peisue Member

Hello everyone

Well I finally am a rabbit owner/caregiver! I received my pair of english angoras on sunday and we are becoming acquainted. I am wondering if all rabbits drink like these two. Especially the male. He polishes off a 16oz bottle in a day no problem. Then, of course, he pees accordingly. I will need to change the paper under his cage daily if not twice daily if this keeps up. Is this normal? I thought rabbits were low maintenance :shrug: I just want to make sure this is not sign of something wrong. Perhaps the food is too salty? It is rabbit pellets from the feed store.....no ingredients listed.

Thanks for your help

Sue

2. CountryDreams

CountryDreams Well-Known Member

My guess would be that he might be too warm and is drinking water to keep cool????
    Rabbits require a certain amount of salt so unless there is just way too much in the feed, I can't see this as being part of the problem.

I have one doe that will drink more than 32 oz of water in a day and more when she is pregnant.

Have you asked the person you got the bunnies from about the buck's drinking habits? The previous owner should be able to tell you something.

3. Danaus29

Danaus29 Well-Known Member Supporter

Check with the previous owner to be sure but I'm thinking for an Angora that would be about normal. My Rexs don't drink that much but my Cal goes through 24 ounces in 24 hours.

Who said rabbits were low maintenance? Especially an Angora!

4. peisue

peisue Member

I am not complaining about the maintenance. I love all my critters and will care for them however it necessary. I have been doing lots of reading on rabbits and they are considered a low maintenance pet. Guess it depends what you are comparing them to :) I love combing them and getting that wonderful fine and soft fibre off them. Now to learn how to spin.... :confused:
    Anyway, thanks for letting me know this is a normal amount of water. I do feel better now.

Cheers! :buds:

5. Tucker

Tucker Well-Known Member

with my rabbits ,, weather temperature makes a difference in amounts ,, but ,, bucks tend to drink less water a day around 10 - 16 oz ( about half the 32oz water bottle ) than does .....

my does 'normally' drink more like 20 - 30 oz a day ,, when not nurseing ,,

I have one doe 'S' that after she gives birth I have to give her a 2 - liter bottle a day and she drinks it !! > she also eats like a cow too when nurseing ;) <
    I've went out in the early am and there'll be just an inch left :clap: she is a great milking doe and raises heavy kits even when she has a large litter ,,

when the kits start drinking 'too' ,, I have to put 2 - 2 liter bottles on her cage .

Right now 'S' has 9 (7hers 2fostered) ,, doe next cage 'H' has 8 (1died at 1 wk) 'her' 1st litter of 11 btw and she's been a great mom ,, and at 5 weeks I can 'see' that Spotty's kits are bigger than Harlie's kits ,,

I need to weigh those litters just to see :D

6. bill not in oh

bill not in oh Well-Known Member

We've got satin angoras and the bucks outdrink the does 2 to 1 unless the does are pregnant or nursing. 16 oz is not all that much - just wait until summer LOL

7. Michael Leferink

Michael Leferink Well-Known Member

The volume of water our rabbits drink seems to be about equal to the volume of feed they eat. I believe this is normal and necessary for the proper digestion of their feed. The first sign of illness in a rabbit is usually a reduction in water intake followed by a reduction in feed intake. I have noticed a slight increase in water intake during the summer.

MikeL