Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am looking for thoughts on how much roosting/laying room I need for my hens? Just bought a great used storage building that I am going to convert to my mobile chicken house. My chickens are 100% free range so they only go inside to sleep, lay and bad weather. The building is 10' x 12'. How many hens can I realistically house?
Thanks

G

·
How many feet of roosts can you get in there? I believe you're supposed to allow about 1 foot of roost per chicken.

How many nest boxes can you get in there? You're supposed to have about 1 standard size nest per 5 hens.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Alot of chickens for sure, I have 4ft by 8 ft and 23 chickens (to be fair 4 roost outside on the gate to the henhouse)...
not great at calculating though- ours are free range as well, we dont even shut the coop.. and they nest inside, next to it, and also lay underneath (I have big broodies kicking everyone outa the nest boxes-3 outa the 6 inside the coop)...
Very nice shed, what I have been dreamin' of (once you get chickens its like, I need a bigger coop!)....

·
HOW do they DO that?
2,860 Posts
Nice building...nice little L&G tractor too, what year and model?

Might need more ventilation tho...don't want t bake them while they sleep in summer.
Does it freeze where you live?

Can't wait to see how you make it mobile, hope you post that progress here.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts