How much room for sweet corn

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by stonefly71, Mar 18, 2005.

1. stonefly71

stonefly71 Well-Known Member

How much room do I need for sweet corn My yards 40 ft wide by 40 ft I want to plant a few rows for my son to eat. I use to plant a 1 acre garden when I was a kid and I told my wife I was going to plant like 3 or 4 rows of corn and she told her dad this in a phone call and he told her it wouldn't grow. And my thought on this is it would do just fine. It's going to be planted long ways on a hillside going across the hill. I only want like 30 stalks. I've also cut 2 55 gal barrels to use for tomatoes,a few beans ,peas and such. How would this all work as I just want some fresh veg's till We can get moved and have a few acres in veges again. And will top soil work in the 1/2 barrels or should I use potting soil? they are cut long ways just to clear this part up. I was going to use 1 1/2 of one for potatoes buried in straw have any of you done this and what was the outcome? thanks Matt the reason for using barrels is due to my bad back just a bit more info.I should have added I'm in central Ohio.

2. gilberte

gilberte Well-Known Member Supporter

If you only want 30 stalks you're better off planting several short rows together, rather than one or two longer rows. This helps the corn pollinate better. I don't know which zone you live in but be sure to select a variety that has time to ripen where you live. Don't plant until the soil has warmed sufficiently (here in northern Maine I don't plant corn until the first week in June). Corn is a heavy feeder and should be side dressed at least twice while growing, once when it is about 6 to 10 inches high, and again when about knee high. You should also keep soil hilled up around the stalks to make it more resistant to be blown over by the wind (don't panic if it does get blown over some though. Leave it alone and it will straighten up) Make sure the corn gets at least an inch of water a week. Good luck :)

3. 2mpillow

2mpillow Member

One plant per square foot. I would use a 5*6' or 6*6' area. You can plant pole beans to grow up the stalks or winter squash or cukes to crawl into the corn area. Fall peas are also an interplanting option.

4. Ed in S. AL

Ed in S. AL Well-Known Member

I plant my sweet corn 6 inches apart. And I plant double rows. One row has 2 rows of corn in it. Started doing this a couple years ago, and have had great success with it. Can get 6 rows of corn in 3 rows.

5. Windy in Kansas

Windy in Kansas In Remembrance

As was pointed out sweet corn needs pollination from the tassles to the ears or rather silks of the ears. It is my understanding that each silk leads to a kernal, so every silk need pollen in order for each kernal of the ear to fill.

A minimum of six rows is what I use with in row spacing of 10" to 12". Since I like to treat each ear with a drop or two of mineral oil to keep ear worms at bay, I like the rows to be 30" apart. A 30" canopy of leaves is pretty tough to get through so you may prefer 36" rows. I feel like the 30" rows will have an edge on proper pollination and also shades the ground better to avoid weed infestation.

You may wish to consider "Kandy Korn" variety since it will often produce two ears per stalk. It is also known for having tight ear tips to limit ear worm infestation.

6. suelandress

suelandress Windy Island Acres Supporter

Since I low carb, I grew only a limited amount of corn last year. It was a block, about 2 1/2 feet by 10 feet, corn spaced 8 inches apart, square foot style. It was a smaller corn (about 5 feet high) you may need higher spacing on taller ones. The square block method saves lots of space and makes for good pollination.

7. seymojo536

seymojo536 Well-Known Member

IMHO, going to all that work for 30 stalks of sweet corn just isn't worth the bother. Even if you hand pollinate, you are only looking at 2 - 2 1/12 dozen, and that's if everything goes perfectly, which only happens in the seed catalogs. Why not wait until you have the room to do it right? Since you live in central Ohio you are not far from some of the best growers I've ever had the pleasure to met. I'm not trying to talk you out of it if your heart is set on growing some, just pointing out that for that small an amount of corn, you'll end up spending about 3 times what the local guy will charge you.

8. stonefly71

stonefly71 Well-Known Member

I'm doing this for my young boy we don't really care how much we get I just want to start watching what we take in a our own garden is a way to start. Just tired of looking at a yucky hillside that has a few small trees on it and everyone coming down out road uses it as a dump so if I can't see the trash the better part of the hillside belongs to the city . And the prices folks charge for sweetcorn just blows my mind. IMHO. Later Matt and thanks for the INFO as I'm trying sq.ft gardening this year.