Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much would you charge someone who wants to keep 19 cows pastured on your property? My parents own the farm across the road from me and we have been rotating their cows bck and forth from their pastures to mine. Last week one of my father's friends bought the whole herd, but wants to continue to pasture them here between the two farms. The guy that bought the cows wants to know how much I'm going to charge him for keeping the cows here. I have no idea what to tell him. :shrug: :help:

Amie
North Central PA

·
Premium Member
17,383 Posts
These kind of things vary widely by location. I would talk to folks in your area and check with your extension agent.

·
Banned
12,448 Posts
Most of the people I know who rent do so by the acre, not by the head. They rent a pasture by the acre and put the number they want there, sometimes none.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all for the replies. The cows will be pastured on about 14 acres of my land, plus some of my parents pastures (not sure how many acres there), right across the road. I never thought about checking with the extention agent/office. Thanks again.

·
Unpaid, Volunteer Devil's Advocate
18,304 Posts
Quite a few cattlemen bring their cattle from lower Michigan to northern Michigan for summer pasture. I own 200 acres that I could summer pasture, just needs fencing and water supply. Going rate around here is $5 per acre per season. I decided that I couldn't justify the fencing at that rate. It has been a record-setting dry summer so some have had to come and get their cattle and return them to their southern locations and start feeding hay. I don't know how you work it out if your land can't provide the pasture they need. Who is liable if their cows get thru a weak section of your fence?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts