How much Purina goat chow for PG does?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Taerie, Oct 20, 2004.

1. Taerie

Taerie New Member

Greetings! This is my first post. I have had milkgoats before but it has been a while.
    I have 8 month old Saanen does that have just been bred. I have been feeding them all the brome hay they want plus about a pound each of Purina Goat chow a day. Does this seem about right? (The wieght tape said they wieghed 84 pounds each at seven months.) They don't feel too fat. (feeling ribs to estimate this under new winter coats.) I am wondering if I should increase the grain ration a bit now? Or should I keep it the same until they kid? I have been looking through books and such for the answer to this and haven't had any luck.
    Also I am considering adding alfalfa pellets gradually to their ration when they are giving milk. Any thoughts on this? (Where I lived when I had milkgoats before alfalfa was the hay available and now it is brome.)
    Thanks!!

2. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

I also breed my Nubians at 7 to 8 months old, I keep them on their grain (about 1 pound each) from birth through kidding, and then this becomes their milkstand grain, because they are still growing and bred. The hay is fine. What I would add to their diet is calcium. Alfalfa pellets are great. The only calcium in their diet right now is from the Purina goat chow and minerals you are feeding, so there is only calcium carbonate, you need to be able to look at your dairy goats feed program and see where the dietary calcium is coming from. Alfalfa meal, alfalfa hay, alfalfa pellets. Breeding them young takes a huge toll on them, kidding young, while still growing, and having to milk, you can have bowed legs, and poor growth in them or worse, weak kids, if you don't address their calcium needs.

There is a thread on Purina Goat chow about 3 pages back if you want to find it. Vicki

3. Taerie

Taerie New Member

Thanks Vicki! Calcium was what I was thinking about when I got the idea of alfalfa pellets. How much of those do you feed your goats?

4. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

my nubians get about 6and one half pounds of purina goat chow a day. each

5. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

I have 7 first fresheners "to-be" the age we are talking about, I put out 8 pounds of alfalfa pellets at night, and increase that when they do eat it all. I don't want any waste, but I want them eating alfalfa pellets when they are stuck in the barn from rain, or nightfall. They do have horse quality coastal hay out, but really only eat it when the weather is nasty and they can't/won't get out into the woods to eat. I put 7 pounds of their grain (corn,oats,barley called a horse 12% dry mix) and also keep their minerals out 24/7.

Milkers get grain on the milkstand, alfalfa pellets in their pens and minerals. Once dry and no longer coming in to be milked they get no grain.

Bucks get grain as they grow up, until they are breeding their first does (7 to 8 months) then only get alfalfa pellets and good grass hay, they also live in a large wooded area. I will give them some grain after a long rut, if I want to put some weight on them for appraisal or shows in the spring. When they do get grain I use ammonium chloride in their grain. Vicki