How much of your state is public/private property?

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by r.h. in okla., Sep 2, 2006.

1. Here in Oklahoma our state is something like 98 percent privately owned. It really makesit hard to find a good place to hunt if you don't own your own large tract of land. I have access to several small acreages in the 10 to 20 acre average and do usually get a deer or two but I usually have to take what comes by first. With such small tracts of land I don't get to practice any kind of deer managment. Plus, some of this small tracts of land I have access I may have to share with many other hunters also, most who don't practice deer management either.

2. Bwana

Bwana Well-Known Member

Well, here in WI there's quite a bit of public land in the north half of the State, especially north of Hwy. 64. There are two National Forests that take up a lot of acreage (Nicolet and Chiquamegon) plus State Forest, County forests and DNR land. Lots of Forest Crop Land too. You do have to deal with quite a bit of hunting pressure on a lot of it but there are plenty of places where there won't be anyone, especially far from the road.

Here's a link to the WI DNR maps site where you can zoom in on a certain county and see how much and where the public land is.
    http://www.dnr.wi.gov/maps/

Dave

3. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

We have alot,got National Forest,Corps Engineer,State Forest,and Conservation Lands.

In Oklahoma you should have Corps of Engineer Land?? A guy invited me down there said he had plenty of land to hunt on :shrug:

big rockpile

4. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Well-Known Member

Not enough, and when you get there. You rub shoulders with everybody else there.

5. Bwana

Bwana Well-Known Member

What State is that Rock? Forgive my ignorance, being new and all... :)

Dave

6. big rockpile

Missouri

big rockpile

7. big rockpile

Seems like you have plenty of Public Land on the East side of the State.

http://www.wildlifedepartment.com/wmastate.htm

big rockpile

8. You would think so by looking at that map but a lot of those places are very small and some you have to draw in to hunt at. Some are located right next to a sizable town that don't allow nothing but controlled draw hunts. The rest have so many people hunting in them you might think you are actually in a major war conflict. VIETNAM!

If I go to one of these places it would be archery only as there just too many people whizzing bullets everywhere during rifle seasons. Not to mention that one of the nearest places to me has an average of 68 pounds field dressed deer. To me that tells me that they are not managing the place right. The deer are just not getting to maturity before being gunned down.

In fact they passed a bill a couple of years ago that all hunters now have to pay an extra $5 for their hunting license and proceeds go to aquiring more public land for hunters to hunt on, due to overcrowding on public lands along with a shortage of private lands that landowners will allow hunting on.

9. wy_white_wolf

wy_white_wolf Just howling at the moon

10. jross

jross swamper

In New Jersey, there is much public property available for recreation, maybe close to one third of the state, I think. Within a couple miles of us there is about 250,000 acres of public land where hunting is allowed and some nice bucks come out of those places each year. While we have the reputation of wall to wall people, down here in the Pinelands it is rural with scattered developments here and there. There is very little private land that is not posted by owners or lessees. It is becoming more common for organized hunters to lease land as the highest bidder, purchasing their own liability insurance, and posting their lease every ten feet or so, and at times 3 signs high.

11. bgak47

bgak47 Well-Known Member

I think that we are still fairly lucky here in OK R.H.There is still quite a bit of Public hunting lands here. Unfortunately, the trend for private land is towards hunting leases. The private land owners have had some bad expieriences with less than ethical hunters. I hate to hear about this. It moves us more towards lease-only hunting. I bought my 17acrs 22yrs ago in a place that was surrounded by large tracts of privately owned land. My neighbor to the north owns 1,000 acres, & my accross-the-street neighbor is a lumber company that owns 5,000 acres. My neighbors on either side own 43 & 160 acres. I have permission(written) from my neighbors that own private land around me to hunt on their property.I have written permission from the lumber company to hunt on their property. It only cost $25. I actually haven't had to set foot on anyone else's property for deer,turkey,squirrel, or wild hog.My little patch is productive because I have good neighbors.

12. braggscowboy

braggscowboy Well-Known Member Supporter

I live in Northeast Okla. and there is lots of Public land to hunt. Camp Gruber is a great place to bow hunt. I have killed deer there with bow and gun. I have also seen some good deer come from there. As far as management goes, I have live very close to Gruber for about 28 years and there are many more deer now than when I moved there. My wife and daughter and myfelf have run into seven since living there. Lots of turkeys at times also. I have seen several mountian lions lately. There are bears, but I have not seen any.

13. hillsidedigger

hillsidedigger Well-Known Member

Within North Carolina are about 33 million acres of land of which currently about 10% of the total are public lands, including 4 national forests, but NC is one of the most active states acquiring land the last 10 years and the nearterm goal is to get public property in this state up to about 12.5%. The federal government has slowed its acquisition of additional conservation land to a crawl.

An NC referendum this fall is to approve or vote down the allocation of $250 million per year for at least the next 4 years for conservation land acquisition, with an emphasis on maintaining clean watersheds (has been spending about $60 to 100 million per year the last 10 years), most of which will be open to fishing and hunting.