Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to need to trap and dispose of a raccoon that is destroying our small ponds and other areas on the property at night, and is increasingly showing up in the daytime as well to wreak havoc on our place. It has now killed all the fish, ripped the pump and hoses out, killed the plants, and the pond has almost completely drained. It's only a matter of time before it gets ahold of one of our pets.

I need to do this in a somewhat quiet manner and was wondering if the raccoon makes a big racket when it gets in the trap? Some hissing and bashing about in the cage would not be a problem, but if it is going be screeching and screaming until it is dispatched that might cause some notice if it is loud enough. We are in an area zoned rural and out of city limits in an unincorporated area of the county, but there are a couple houses around on the 1/2 acre to 5 acre lots here. If it is trapped during the night will it make a racket all night until dealt with or will it sit mostly quiet during the night? The best time for me to take care of it while it is in the trap is during the mid morning hours when most people are gone.

How about poisoning it, maybe that would be a better way to go?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
The ones I have caught get a bit frantic trying to escape the cage but the most noise is when some one or some thing approaches the cage.Make sure you have a safe way to carry the cage those suckers are mean attach a rope to the handle to carry it and be sure to wear gloves and hold the cage at a safe distance from your body.......Rabies is my big fear.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
I have trapped dozens in my lifetime, and I have never heard them make any noise other than some hissing or a sort of growl or maybe that chattering noise they make. I've never heard one screech unless it was fighting another ****. If you shoot it, you can likely use .22 shorts with little noise and if you shoot it directly at the base of the skull it will die instantly. Gruesome to talk about, but you are correct in assuming it will likely attack your animals, especially if you keep poultry, rabbits, kittens or anything not too large. They will also destroy vegetables and fruit, too.

I would seriously advise you to not poison it, as you will run the risk of poisoning something you don't want to like a pet if the **** carries off the poison and does not eat it all and your pet (or some innocent wild animal) finds the leftovers. Also, a poisoned animal will likely crawl away to die and stink like death, literally, and then you'll have to either hunt the dead thing down and bury it or live with the odour for a week or two. IMO, trapping is the best solution for *****. Use jelly bread or peanut butter, or sometimes bacon or lunchmeat works. They usually just sit in the trap all night.

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
We trapped ***** with cat food - their favorite! They don't make much noise. From the damage you've described, I think you've got more than one.

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
RoseGarden said:
If you shoot it, you can likely use .22 shorts with little noise and if you shoot it directly at the base of the skull it will die instantly.

I would seriously advise you to not poison it, as you will run the risk of poisoning something you don't want to like a pet if the **** carries off the poison and does not eat it all and your pet (or some innocent wild animal) finds the leftovers.
Yeah, I was thinking about that as well. We have 2 or 3 neighbor cats in our area, and our own cat and small dog which would not hesitate to go in or near the trap if had any sort of food in it. I was thinking .22 short as well, out of a rifle should be pretty quiet.

I was more concerned if it was going to make a bunch of racket while in the trap over night and during the daylight hours until mid morning and it is time to go. Now that I think about it, we will need to keep both our dog and cat in the house during this same time period otherwise they will approach the trapped **** which is of course not good. Hmm

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
I set ours in the evening, after the dogs are locked up. I use vienna sausage in an old tuna can attached to the cage with a length of clothes hanger wire. Only sound I heard from them is in the morning when I check the trap. Some would growl or hiss when I put the rifle up to the cage (.22 long ). I use a trash bag to cart them off (big enough I don't have to touch the carcass). We've "perpetually relocated" 5 this year. Save the poison for rats, trap the *****.

·
In Memorium
15,516 Posts
They love marshmallows! And, by baiting with them, it decreases the chances that a dog or cat will go in the trap.

No, they don't make any noise in the trap. But, if you can, put a large rock on the top so they can't topple the trap over.

·
Premium Member
1,002 Posts
Oregon Julie said:
No matter the damage they do they are one of gods creatures and deserve as clean and painless a death as we can provide. Dropping it into a body of water is cruel IMO.
It's a lot faster and less painful than some shootings I've seen.

·
Registered
918 Posts
I can relate as racoons consider my Koi pond five star dining. I trap them on my bridge using dry Meow Mix in my large size Hav A Heart trap. I estimate a .22 long rifle in the brain results in about 65DB if you are concerned with noise level. Lots of *****, high risk of Rabies coupled with the fact that we have no ethical right to dump these troubles on the unsuspecting country homesteaders down the road. More than you asked for, but how I see it. Good luck...Glen

·
In Memorium
15,516 Posts
EDDIE BUCK said:
As a post above mentioned, relocate. Everyone should be happy, you and your neighbors and also the ****, once he knows he will be set free. LOL :bouncy: :clap: :banana02:
Please don't relocate. You're just giving someone else your problem AND spreading disease.

A bullet to the head is quick.

·
construction and Garden b
7,378 Posts
Oregon Julie said:
No matter the damage they do they are one of gods creatures and deserve as clean and painless a death as we can provide. Dropping it into a body of water is cruel IMO.

and your option/action would be? poisons are not fast nor are they animal specific.

·
Semper Fidelis
4,609 Posts
I noticed that the raccoons will make noise rattling the cage when caught (which alerts me), then hiss and growl as I approach the cage. I use the handle of my cane to pick up and move the trap outside the woodshed for the coup de gras to be administered. For bait, I use a cat food can wired to the trap trigger with some wet and dry cat food inside it. Make sure that the locking tabs on the door function well, as the last raccoon I trapped escaped until I adjusted the locking tabs!! It must have been super raccoon cause it bent the sheet metal locking tabs and a corner of the carry handle metal guard on a large Hav-A-Heart Trap!!!!!

If you have a pond, then as suggested earlier ~ a nice long submerged bath would not make the noise of a .22 being fired. I also noticed on my different models of .22LR weapons have different levels of loudness when fired... My Browning Buckmark .22LR semi-auto pistol is definately lounder than most of my .22LR semi-auto rifles..

Do not relocate the animal to another area, as posted due to disease transmissions and giving your problem to somebody else is very un-neighborly. Best to deal with the varmit yourself. From the amount of damage you describe, there is more that 1 of those pesky critters at work tearing things up!!!

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Dunno - mine are dead when I find them because I use Coke and fly bait to poison them. They die with their head still in the dish. Never had a cat, dog, goat, chicken or other animal go near the stuff. If they did, they shouldn't be there in the first place.

·
Love it, or leave it...
402 Posts
Trap the ***** in either leghold traps on a drowning set in the pond, or a 220 connibear in a cubby. Not much noise involved at all...

·
Just howling at the moon
6,586 Posts
Fly bait and Mountain Dew will do wonders on the ****. Just make sure it is out of reach of pets and other animals.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.