how much noise do your goats make?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by trixiwick, Jul 14, 2004.

1. trixiwick

trixiwick bunny slave

Cripes, we've got some screamers. We have a doeling who has decided that every time she sees a person she should scream her head off until she gets some attention, and this sets everyone else off. By the time I come down to the barn, I'm half deaf from all the yelling. Do I have the loudest goats on earth?

Also, we're looking to sell the doeling and her brother soon, and I have to wonder if potential buyers are going to be put off by the noise. She yells sometimes like she's on fire, and has even gone hoarse a few times. :rolleyes:

2. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

Mine did that when I first got them. Especially Molly, who was a weanling at the time. She cried every time she saw me. Now she's a very quiet five year old. I did have one yearling, kidded here, who cried all the time, but I just sold her. Not because she was a screamer; I figured she'd quiet down like Molly did, eventually. Anyway, I have a very quiet herd again. And yes, they are Nubians.
    mary

3. Galloping Goats

Galloping Goats Active Member

Let me guess, Nubians? :haha: That's what I have and out of a herd of 7, 5 are fairly quiet and 2 of my newest drive me crazy with their yelling. I keep hoping they will get over it but am not holding my breath. The amount of vocalization seems to vary from goat to goat.

4. trixiwick

trixiwick bunny slave

Actually, they're pygmies. Nubians sure do have a reputation! I hope she will quiet down soon, especially if she can figure out that the screaming doesn't actually get her any extra attention. The adults were talkative but soft-spoken up to now, so once the kids are sold I am sure they will go back to being semi-quiet. I suppose the neighbors will appreciate it!

5. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I have 3 Nubians, they hardly every make a peep. I use to have some years ago, and they're weren't noisy either But then I've had people tell me several times my critters wear contented faces :)

6. Corky

Corky Well-Known Member

I had to laugh when I read this.
    I have goats that are fairly quiet unless it is feeding time and they see me comming. Then they are not loud, but... a few years ago someone talked me into taking in a couple of nubians. I posted on here. DO THEY EVER SHUT UP??
    They were in a new place and scared so they screemed all day and night for a while. They did finally get used to the place and were quiet until they saw me comming. I don't know about pigmys but I do know for a fact that nubians have very loud mouths! :haha: