How much milk should piglets be drinking?

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by Mouse, Sep 5, 2003.

1. Mouse

Mouse Well-Known Member

Hi,

In case you don't know, I'm hand raising 3 piglets whose mama prolapsed. We got them to start pan drinking last weekend and that has eased my work load a bit. I was giving them 2 quarts 4x a day but they seemed to go through it too fast, so I started giving them a gallon at a time last night. How much should they be drinking? They will be 3 weeks old on Sunday the 7th.

Thank you,
    Mouse

2. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Watch two things.. Don't give them enough that they can't drink it all because the flys will sap at it and lay eggs around it.. If they were cleaning up the 2 qt X 4 times feeding quickly, I would stay wih it if possible.. Feeding often is better than giving them a bunch all at once.. Keep an eye on their bowels.. To much can be worse than not enough.. I guess I'm trying to say if it ain't broke, don't fix it.. What is their names?? You can house break a pig I'm told.. Never did feel the need however.. Unk.

3. Mouse

Mouse Well-Known Member

Great thank you. Their names are Vanilla (girl with no black), Coco (girl with black spots in white) and Bandit (boy). I named the girls food related names since we're raising them for the freezer. Hubby named the boy and said he knew they were for the freezer, lol, he's got such a sweet heart, I hope he doesn't get too attached like he did a turkey tom that needed to go.