Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
O.K. so our doe is due any day and we are still going back and forth on the dam raised/bottle baby question. We were prepared to pull the kids from birth and milk and then bottle feed from the beginning--colostrum on through. But.....we keep thinking about doing that and it doesn't seem right somehow. Can someone tell me how much milk we might expect from our FF nubian doe if we leave her with her kid/kids and just separate them at night? We would milk them in the morning and just check udder and milk as needed at night? How much of a difference is there in milk quantity if we pulled the kids from day one?

She comes from a good milking line and should be capable of a gallon a day at peak. We wanted to get every drop of that b/c she will be our main milker at this point. We're only getting about 2 pints from our Kinder and are drying up our other two. So we need as much milk as possible.

How much milk will we get from a day nursing mom?

Dee

·
Knitting Rocks!
5,783 Posts
Well, I bought my nubian when her kids were pulled from her, so I get all the milk, and that is about a gallon a day, even after a move.
My Alpine has a kid on her (he is 2 months old) and just recently I started seperating them at night. I was getting a half gallon a day, twice a day milking before I seperated them. Since I seperated them I get 1/2 gal in the morning. Last night i didnt get much at all from her, I left the kid with her all day. So I could say her milk quantity is the same. But I am expecting to get more from her this evening, as more than likely the kid was just nursing every chance he got yesterday as it was his first day after being seperated.
Any particular reason your drying up the others? Maybe you could keep one of them milking just to be sure you have enough? I am milking my nubian, my alpine and an alpine cross and usually get 1 gallon to 1 1/2 gallons a day. It seems like when it rains a lot I dont get as much milk, probably because they stay inside.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have two nursing Nubian dams, and it is working out just fine, as I manage to sell milk to 6 people, freese some and keep some for the three of us in the house. Plus they are nursing one kid each. So I frankly don't know what people do with 8lbs of milk EACH DAY! I guess, they make lots of cheese.

The boys are being weaned now. Before weaning, one doe produced about 3lbs per day (available at milking time, twice per day), the other doe was making about 2.5lbs per day. There were days when one dam had no milk (or very little, like 4 oz) in the evening, with her kid getting it all and giving her a bad reputation. With boys being almost weaned now (access to moms at night only at this point), one gives 6 lbs/day, the other 5.5 lbs/day. The boys still get to steal tons of morning milk, and they are getting close the third round of weaning (from half day, to full day, to entirely separated/weaned...)
The boys are very well nourished and chunky, they are raised for meat. They are three months old (a bit too old for nursing). Good luck with making choices, I liked them doing all the work themselves. Plus moms really have been enjoying raising the kids, teaching them fun games, snuggling and playing together.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts