How much meat?

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by Firefly, May 13, 2006.

1. Firefly

Firefly Well-Known Member

In case I can't solve my fencing problems at a reasonable cost, how much meat would I get from a 100 lb pig? :Bawling:

2. commomsense

commomsense Beef,Its whats for dinner

About 50 Lbs of meat. Pigs dress out to about half their weight.

3. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

A market hog will yield 68 to 72 percent

4. dezeeuwgoats

dezeeuwgoats Well-Known Member

I have a friend who debones all the meat, and bases her yield on that. Her yields obviously look lower. I am having organ meats,fat, head, skin, and feet returned to me from the processor this time - and making use of those things should add to our yield, which is usually in the 70's.

A pig that small - will have lower meat to bone ratio, as he is obviously not at the prime butchering weight. I'd expect it to be around 50lbs give or take - depending on what you are willing to use, ie organ meats, fat for lard, head, skin, feet, etc.
    niki

5. beeman97

beeman97 Well-Known Member

a 100 lb pig would make a much better roasting pig then anything else, to small to be cutting up,,,
    just invite a few freinds over & have a good ole fashioned roast with it. there wont be much left if you have 8 or 10 eating on it.

6. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Well-Known Member

Most people consider 8oz to be a standard serving of meat and 16 oz for a very hearty appetite. 50 pounds of meat translates into 50-100 meals (individual servings)