How Much Manure?

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by SuperDog, Oct 3, 2006.

1. SuperDog

SuperDog Well-Known Member

This is a newbie questions for all of you. I'm hoping to get a couple of feeder hogs in spring, and am trying to make sure I have everything together before hand. A questions that has been hanging over my head is ... how much manure will three hogs make? Im wondering if I am going to get a spreader or not. Thanks for the help.

2. John Schneider

John Schneider Well-Known Member

Superdog...the need for a spreader is completely dependant upon how small your enclosure will be. If you plan to keep them in a small pen for the time that you have them (a plan that I am never in favour of) then you will need a way to both clean and dispense your manure. If your pigs live in a healthy environment that is large and full of pasture, you will only need to drag the manure after they are gone. A quick reseeding of your pasture and then you will be ready for another 'crop' of pigs. I would always wait at least several weeks before getting new pigs so that the worms can die and the new grass can sprout etc.

3. Up North

Up North KS dairy farmers

SuperDog 3 hogs carried from 50 pounds to 240 pounds will produce an amount of manure that can reasonably be dispensed with using a shovel or pitchfork and a wheelbarrow, then work it into a garden or flowerbeds.
    A manure spreader will not be necessary.