How much longer?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by rainedaze, Mar 11, 2005.

1. rainedaze

rainedaze Well-Known Member

I have three does that are just starting to bag up. I am unsure to the due date since the bucks were left with them. :no: This will not happen again next year. I do not like waiting for the unknown. Does anyone have any idea how much longer it may be until they kid? The bags are not tight yet but are noticably bigger. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. I am stressing this kidding process a little more than I thought I would. :confused:

Thank you in advance.

2. chma4

chma4 Wolverton Family Farm Supporter

When the mucus comes, you'll know your getting closer!

3. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

Keep an eye on them. Some goats start to bag up three weeks before they kid, others don't even start until after they kid. Examine the ligaments on the rump at the base of the tail -- they loosen up quite a bit just a few days before kidding; examine the vulva, which will start to look a little puffy and droopy as they get really close. Watch for pawing at the bedding. When they start to have a discharge, or what looks like water balloons out the vulva, they are starting in labor. Most does, when in labor, will lay down and stretch their head up and back with contractions. They may get up and down, paw the bedding, and act very restless. Yesterday I was about to leave for work (fortunately I set my own hours!) when I looked down at the goat pens and saw one of my pregnant does laying in her stall and stretching her head back like they do when they are in labor. I had already noticed that she was bagging up, that her vulva was starting to look puffy and droopy, and when I did chores in the morning noticed she was pawing her bedding. So I stopped the van halfway down the driveway and went to check on her. Sure enough, it was time -- she had two beautiful doe kids within the next hour and a half. And I was three hours later getting to work than I'd planned on!

Kathleen

4. rhjacobi

rhjacobi Well-Known Member

Hi raindaze,

We raise Boer goats, so this may not necessarily apply to your breed. However, I had to respond to try and relieve some of your worry - especially if they follow the same pattern as ours. From what you describe, and if it were our nannies, I would expect kidding in anywhere from 3 weeks to about 1 1/2 months.

As some of the other post have said, this can have quite a lot of variation and kidding could be any moment too.

We leave our bucks with the herds all year around. We have gotten to know our nannies and can tell if they are about to deliver. Our surprises are usually from a first timer.

I hope this helps a little.

Bob
    Lynchburg, TN.