How much lawn around your house?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by moonwolf, Jan 24, 2005.

1. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

During the grass growing season, how much lawn do you mow around your property? Do you use a riding mower? What kind?

Where I am now I like to keep the lawn cut around to keep some bugs down. I used to cut about 5 acres :eek: and last year I cut along a trail where I like to keep clear to walk. It's about 1km long and about 6' wide.

2. Little Quacker in OR

Little Quacker in OR Well-Known Member

:) Hi! I have 2 1/2 acres of lawn and you can bet that I use a riding mower! LOL I have a Murray as that's what my dh wanted but given a choice I'd have a John Deere. Couldn't do without a riding mower... as you know they are so valuable for so many other things with the little trailers that come with them. I haul all kinds of stuff and critters too around in mine, so I use it winter and summer. ;)

LQ

3. inc

inc Well-Known Member

owner has a brigs andn stratton riding mower which i have to check on a new belt for probably. hard not to have a man, an honest man, around to do this thing.i do what i can but of course i was never taught squat about this machine, but it looks pretty basic. however i still need to look underneath and check the blades and how well they turn, just in case someone else has wrapped wire or something equally vile up in them( been there, cleaned up that)
    (ps- now i hide the key to the machine(rolls eyes)
    tooo many levels, i weed whip the rest

4. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

Let's see...8 hours on a 48 inch cut John Deere takes care of the lawn...until I get some more fence up and let the goats do their share!

Meg

5. DayBird

DayBird Big Bird

I don't want any lawn at all. I'm already clogging up just having to think of cutting grass. Masks don't help me anymore. The smell of fresh cut grass is enough to cause my eyes to water and I immediately start snotting. It's a gross thing.

Lawns are a huge waste even if it wasn't for my allergies. I'd much rather have a meadow of flowers...but then I have allergies. I want to mulch the entire yard, interplanted with vegetable beds and fruit trees. I'd still like to have one of those John Deer mowers to keep the weeds cut along the road.

6. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

I think righ now I have just over an acre.Use push Mower wife says thats the only way I'm going to get any exercise :confused: Takes me about 3 days.

But I've started looking how to use Roundup :haha: Used some last year worked GREAT!!! Get that that kills Oak and Poison Ivy.It will kill everything.

big rockpile

7. mammabooh

mammabooh Metal melter Supporter

We mow about 1 1/2 acres with a Steiner. We also have a walking path in the back that we mow just one width of the mower (60").

8. inc

inc Well-Known Member

"Lawns are a huge waste "
    i aggree! i like the fact that theres a couple of clover patches here, i tried to whack a patch of perennial lawn weeds down to the dirt and allow the clover to grow( to gain strength and seed) but the owner woul have none of that- it would have been a couple more weeks of that unsightly thing...
    i am done years ago spreading grass and clover seed which never grows, it might start but fizzles- just not adapted to this area.
    of course i have to battle the endless crabgrass, which the owners planted every where and cultivated with the briggs-n-stratton....
    but there is an alternative 'yard treatment' and dont laugh- its bare dirt. i think they call it a dooryard like those of europe of days past.
    betterto paper that dirt that doesnt grow anything anyway and put on a decorative chip mulch. that would only require a bit of raking twice a season right?
    endless crabgrass- oh for some geese to mow it all.

9. Lt. Wombat

Lt. Wombat Well-Known Member

Between our goats and the forrest services elk, deer and antelope we have no lawn

10. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

inc,
    instead of crabgrass we have invasive quack grass. It's good erosion control, and the only place to keep it back is in the garden.
    I've never planted any lawn seed of any kind. Mostly the growth to cut is white and red clover. It flourishes unless the moisture is low, and then the other grasses come up naturally. The reason I mow close to the house is to keep bugs and rodents down, basically. When I moved here, the pasture 'lawn' being 3 ft. high was just too much cover for all that vermin including skunks. I know it would be nice to have lawn grazed naturally by sheep or other animals. That's my next realm of hoping to get off the cycle of unnatural means of living out here as much as possible. I hate wasting fuel cutting grass. Bare dirt won't work here, because of the hill would wash downhill and heavy messy clay. It would be an awful mess. Usually I slack off the cutting grass by about July in order to let the buttercups and nice wildflowers come in. The undergrowth of 'lawn' grows slower by then and harbors less chinch bugs and ticks.

11. Cosmic

Cosmic Well-Known Member

Precisely 637 blades of grass worth. That is down from 639 blades the year before. :(

Damn lawn grubs again.

12. Bonnie L

Bonnie L Well-Known Member

No lawn at all! :) We live in the middle of a small forest. I love it!

13. Gary in ohio

Gary in ohio Well-Known Member Supporter

I have about 2 acres of mowable lawn. I use a rider. Right now its a TSC Huskee (MTD rebadged) 22hp, 48" deck. Takes an hour and a half to mow. A little more to trim around the houses and beds.

14. Matt Black

Matt Black Out back

I'm really not sure, probably a couple of acres altogether. It takes a couple of hours. Its really kind of broken up into a back yard, front yard, side yard and then several other sections kind of scattered around the property. I mow with a huge Cub Cadet 2182 that was given to me (WHOOOHOO!!! :D ) by a rather well off uncle when he decided to upgrade to one of those zero turn models. It's got a 5ft hydraulic operated deck, hydro tranny and a 3 cyl. twenty something horse Kubota engine. It's alot better than my old Ford YT12.5 with the deck that was so rusted it would bend up like a taco when I hit grass that was really thick.

15. caroline00

caroline00 Well-Known Member

none

caroline, wife of a lawn maintenance professional :)

16. limhyl

limhyl Well-Known Member

Started with half an acre and down to about a 1/3. By the time we sell in three years there may not be any to mow with my Black and Decker rechargable electic which I love! Takes me about an hour to mow what I have now. Theresa.

17. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

Our "lawn" is five acres or more. Some of it will be in pasture once we get the back pasture fence up. We have a 48 inch. Husqvarna riding mower. The "lawn" was orginally a hay field/cow pasture. We have no intentions of putting a lot of work into planting or weed eradication. We just mow what's there and it looks fine to me.

18. Snuffy Smith

Snuffy Smith Well-Known Member

I mow about 3 acres at least 2 times a month with my shiney new red GT 500 Craftsman riding lawnmower with a sun shield that DW got me for my birthday last year. It sure beats using the pushmower that I used for several years. :haha:

19. Jan Doling

Jan Doling Well-Known Member

I mow paths around the house and to the out buildings. We only have a push mower (and until this year, only an old fashioned reel one). I am counting on another freeze to kill off most of the weeds before I try to groom anything this spring. There is a small window there before new weeds take over, if I'm not alert.

20. HermitJohn

HermitJohn Well-Known Member

How much lawn varies with how much in a mood I am to mow. Do have to have some lawn for tick control.