How much land?

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by Countrygrl3, Apr 23, 2005.

1. Countrygrl3

Countrygrl3 Well-Known Member

How many acres are needed per cow? i know this varies for breed and the particular cow, but we are putting up new pastures and i wanted to get a general idea of what was needed. How many acres are your cattle on?
    Thanks,

Sue

2. Haggis

Haggis MacCurmudgeon

Once upon a time an English back to the land guru said that a cow could be kept on 1 acre, but you won't be able to cut hay on it for winter. It is better to keep two cows on 5 acres if you intend to put up your own hay from your own land.

If you don't have space to grow your own hay and grain; should you intend to feed grain, a cow will get along just fine with a small exercise yard. Hay and grain may be bought from those who make their living in those endeavors.

3. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Here in zone 7, I can in most years feed a cow and her calf on 1 1/2 acres for an entire year. No grain or hay purchased or fed. The calf would be marketed when it reaches 450 to 500 lbs. as a feeder.

4. JeffNY

JeffNY Seeking Type

To keep the animal healthy, spread out I would like to see 2 acres per cow, this doesn't crowd the animal into one small acre. It gives it plenty to eat, plenty to roam etc. You could go more, but she won't keep up with it, then you will find yourself mowing it to keep it knocked down.

Jeff

5. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

This has more to do with geography than breed of cow. In Maryland, a couple of acres will do if you buy hay in the winter. In Arizona it might take 40 acres per cow.

6. Countrygrl3

Countrygrl3 Well-Known Member

Great, thanks so much all! Time to start driving fence posts :yeeha:

Sue

7. myersfarm

myersfarm Dariy Calf Raiser

tinkial i agree with you ...most my farm you need 4 acres for a cow and that with no trees in the field....but the bottom land near the creek 1 acre cow in texas i do think it is 40 acres to the cow