How much land are shoppers looking for?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Jena, Mar 25, 2005.

1. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

It is kind of amazing to see the differences is what people think of when it comes to land. To some an acre is huge. To others 1000 is huge. I guess it all depends on where you are coming from, what you are used too and what your goals are.

So, for those who are looking, or wishing, or even land owners....how much land is it that you want, would like, or have? What's the ideal size of a homestead?

Jena

2. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

well, my first farm was on 160 acres, in wisconsin , and that was huge
    my second farm was 20 acres in ND , and that was too small
    my third and last farm is now 80 acres, and i think its perfect, however a lot of that is because of topography, i know cause of the bluffs and rock faces noone can really move close to me , but were i in a different area, i might want more land
    Beth
    BTW, of the 80 only about 30-40- is "usuable"

in real estate the HOTTEST selling parcels are 1-3 acres ..... which to me is obscenely small...

3. Haynes

Haynes Well-Known Member

I looked around for 2 years before one felt right.
    Was just wanting around 10 but ended up with 43.
    More than I can work but was in the price range and
    guess I'll never be cramped.
    After I bought it , it was funny how it just felt right
    and I had found fault with all the others.

Donnie--

4. backwoods

backwoods Well-Known Member

Middle TN, Where the Hilltops Kiss the Sky
    we have 101 acres in two different places.I don't want much,just mine and that which adjoins me.LOL

Hugh

5. bare

bare Head Muderator

To me, it matters how much is usable and waterable. That's the main thing I guess, but nearly or even more importantly, "I" need space from my neighbors! I don't want to look in my neighbors windows and I don't want them looking in mine. I don't want to hear their barking dogs, I don't want to hear their tiffs. I like big acreage, but if I was just trying to subsist, I'd certainly settle for much less.

6. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

well we have 80 acres35 in pasture i would like to buy the 40 next to us

7. sancraft

sancraft Well-Known Member

I have 19.91 acres. Seems like enough right now. Had 5 acres before and it wasn't enough. Figured out we need at least 15 to grow enough feed to feed our own animals and ourselves.

8. papaw

papaw Well-Known Member

We're looking for the right 25 to 30 ... creek, pond, waterfall .... something like that. Just a little bit of heaven .....

9. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

papaw, same here, thats why this is most likely my last farm , 80 acres surrounded by rock bluffs, and unfarmable/housing develelopmentable land with our own creek , which is sourced on our land from springs that run down the bluffs, and also supply us with our water(yes it tested safe)and waterfalls...
    i love our place so much !!!!
    Beth

10. antiquestuff

antiquestuff Well-Known Member

I only want something where I see no neighbors(if it's heavily enough wooded then it wouldn't take tooo much I suppose), with enough to get firewood for heating,and enough space for big gardens, some smaller animals(chickens and the like), etc.
    The more the better I think, until you figure taxes into the equation...where I am, that is the big part of the equation, sadly.

11. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

We have 30 acres; 20 cleared for farming and pasture, 10 in timber and creek setbacks.

This is just about the right size for us - there's plenty of space for the orchards, gardens, and animals we want and it's not so big it feels unmanageable.

12. terriv

terriv Well-Known Member

Almost all my clients are looking for 5-15. Almost all are leaving the city for "more room".

We have 11. I think ideal would be 20 but that depending what's around it. If I could be self-sufficient/retired/independantly wealthy, I want a place I saw in NW Arkansas that was 20 acres down a 5 mile long logging road, with a 6 acre lake surrounded by 1.5 million acres of National Forest. Two neighbors on same road and within walking distance.

13. Phantomfyre

Phantomfyre Black Cat Farm Supporter

All of it. :D

Seriously though, last year when DH and I were looking, I was hoping we could get at least 20. But we couldn't find anything. In despair, I finally consented to looking at properties as little as 4 acres. :no: We ended up with 11.49. Will have to be happy with that for now, but would still like to have more... Someday maybe...

Would sure be easier if they weren't dividing everything up into 2-3 acre lots for starter mansions for city folks who want to live "in the country." :rolleyes:

Diana

14. MichelleB

MichelleB Well-Known Member

Bare-bones minimum of 15, we could do a lot more with 25-40. Again, it depends upon the topography, location, price and usability.

It's getting crazy expensive here, thanks to McMansions and vineyard villas. The worst is all the rotting older manufactured "fixer uppers" that cost more to demolish/dispose of than to fix up and live with.

M

15. Corgitails

Corgitails Well-Known Member

I'd be thrilled with three and a mobile home, as long as they WEREN'T right on a highway- my current home is on 2 and it'd be perfect if it iwasn't a rental (no point in putting in fencing, etc, since i won't be able tot ake it with me) and if it wasn't on the freeway. BUT- it's just me alone, and I think that's plenty to take care of myself, have space for the dogs & a better training area than I've currently got, plus a couple of goats and a garden.

16. calmom

calmom New Member

***My first post,brand new here. :) Right now, we are living on .19 of an acre and just bought 1 acre and will be moving in a couple weeks. We had wanted 5-10 acres but costs here in CA are prohibitively high. The price for 1 acre in our area is $150,000 to $300,000. So, 1 acre seems huge to us but still feeling a little wistful for more, but trying to be grateful too!

christie

17. terriv

terriv Well-Known Member

Don't you know it. They don't even have to be "fixer-uppers". There are like new doublewide mobile homes all around here on several acres and can't even sell those. Trouble is nearly NO ONE will finance a used mobile home, even a year old. It's 80% or less conventional financing and if anyone has $20K lying around, they don't want to put it down on a $98,000 mobile home. They will not go FHA, VA, etc., etc.

WORST investment someone can make. If you buy it to live in it FOREVER, ok. If you ever ever plan to resell, DON'T DO IT.

18. blazingguns

blazingguns Well-Known Member

We have 40 acres here in MO, mostly pasture land, with forests on two sides that are not on our property. We have 2.5 Ponds, stream, and a beautiful little waterfall. Its rather nice property, almost like a park setting, but sloped alot, the only thing I don't like is the house is small. Out in this area, it seems you either get a big house on smaller acreage, or a small house on larger acreage.

19. duke3522

duke3522 Well-Known Member

My family has been on our little 2.77 acre patch since the day after my 4th birthday in 1965. I would like to have a bigger place, but right now I have plenty. Our big old farm house and our barn are more than enough to take care of. We have enough room for a garden to feed ourselves and maybe have some to sell at the farmer's market. Next year I want to get some chicken, but because we have so many wild dogs around any more the pen will have to be super tough.

Duke

20. Shepherd

Shepherd Well-Known Member

When we moved from the city with neighbors on top of us, to a place in the country just outside of town with 4 acres, it was a dream come true. Didn't last long cause the 10 acres west of us was purchased and a huge house went up, blocking our country view. Then the neighbors to our east were transferred to Chicago and new ones moved in, along with their "treasures" (junk), parking them along our property line so we could enjoy the view. (SIGH) At this point we realized only a minimum of 5 acres would be adequate, more would be preferable (and that would be with your home in the center of the land).

Then the city tried annexing us and we fought tooth & nail against it... and the old farmer across the road died. His kids were only interested in selling the land for as much as they could get. I told DH it was time to move further away.

We found the place - a 40 acre place with a home in the middle, surrounded by heavy timber and 12.5 acres of tillable ground. I think that's about as perfect as you can get, but since then we have bought an additional 80 acres that adjoin our original homestead.