How much is your electric bill?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by jgbndaudio, Feb 28, 2005.

1. jgbndaudio

jgbndaudio Well-Known Member

Hello,

I'm doing an informal survey.
    I'm looking for information on others electric bills.

First, how many KWH's do you use a month?
    Secondly, how much do you pay total for those KWH's?

In NY I'm paying a final cost of .17/KWH.
    This is the final bill price divided by the number of KWH's used.

Thanks for you help
    Scotty

2. Little Quacker in OR

Little Quacker in OR Well-Known Member

:) Hi jgbndaudio, I don't know if this would help you compare at all. I live by myself(with dogs)and in the winter mine runs between $90 and $100 per month. I DETEST wood stoves so have no other source of heat(unless you count the generator).

I was noticing your quote. I would like you to have a bit more respect for religion. Man has few natural enemies left. Some pathogens and ourselves is all and we are doing a pretty good job of licking the pathogens. We need religion to help keep our poplulation within bounds. I know it isn't enough, but it helps! So, don't knock something that helps with balance, we don't need less religion..we need more.

Still, I admire your stance. LOL :p
    LQ

3. Jenn

Jenn Well-Known Member Supporter

700 kwh/mo from June to Dec. 6.4 p/kwh or £43/mo is (US$) about 11c/kwh, $80/mo Paid every 3/12 or so.

4. NikiandAlex

NikiandAlex Member

From Richmond, VA
    I remember what we used to pay (where we live now, utilities are included). I think it was .11/KW.
    But there had to be something wrong with the house because our bills were frequently upwards of $400/month. I don't think anyone can use THAT much electricity! And since our rent was also $400/month, we moved.

5. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

I run this small farm & 40 head of cattle on about 400-700 kw, $35-55 a month.

--->Paul

6. Kathy in MD

Kathy in MD Well-Known Member Supporter

Our log house is 20 years old because it was easy to run electric baseboard heat we went with that. We just bought a pellet stove last year (which I love), and it has really lowered the electric bill. Last month’s usage was 1202 kWh at a cost of $.0450; the monetary cost was $89.18.

7. NWSneaky

NWSneaky Well-Known Member

Our N.E. MO cost is .08/kw.
    We use electric roasters, small oven, etc. lots to reduce propane cost.
    $80/ month includes yard lights, and much else.
    Air conditioning takes it aup about $25 but we use an attic fan all but a few weeks.

8. mistletoad

mistletoad Well-Known Member Supporter

We pay .086 per kWh. Last year we were paying .067 per kWh. Our usage varies according to how much I nag but averages about 1100 kWh a month.

9. nodak3

nodak3 Well-Known Member Supporter

Last month used 336 kwh at 8.8 cents per kwh. Total electric bill 38.08

10. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

]

A recent bill was 49 dollars for 384 kilowatts(approx. numbers),we pay 12.6/Kwh with all taxes and charges.Socal region,SCE electric provider.

BooBoo

11. Mrs_stuart

Mrs_stuart Well-Known Member

We use on average about 2100 kwh and our average bill is about $150 which makes it about 7.1 cent per kwh.

Belinda

12. boren

boren Well-Known Member

Let's see, last month we used 700 kWh, and we paid 82.97. So that's .12/kWh, once you include tax, connection fee, etc, etc. In the winter I run 1 piece of heat tape, one heated water bowl, and the clothes drier. In the summer the AC makes up the difference.

I switched the ducks, turkeys, etc to fluorescent ligths just a couple days ago so we'll see how that helps. That should save about 44kWh. The lights are down to $2, so it should pay for itself in 1 month.

I like you quote. ;)

13. ibcnya

ibcnya Well-Known Member

Last bill was 50.83 for 450 kw making it about 11.3 cents a kw. That's with a security light and a heat lamp 24/7 for chicken waterer. I filled the propane tank late last spring and still have 40% lof that left.

14. duke3522

duke3522 Well-Known Member

Here in north central Indiana we pay right around $0.062 per KWH. We use all electric heat and run 2 window A/C in summer due to my asthma. We have electric baseboard, but I try to use our oil filled electric heaters as much as possible. And of course we also have electric water pump, water heater, dishwasher, stove, and washer/dryer. So the total for this drafty barn we call a farm house is about $203 a month year round.

However, I just got a new freezer, so I will be able to dump the old refrigerator I have been using for extra space. And this weekend DS and I are going to replace our mid-1970’s water heater with a nice new one. So I hope to see some improvement.

Duke

15. Snowdancer

Snowdancer Well-Known Member

Mine was $84.27 for 1212kw so .0695 per kw

Keep the quote, I like it too!! ;) :worship:

16. jgbndaudio

jgbndaudio Well-Known Member

Hello again,

Thanks for the replies everyone this is great!
    I'm not trying to pick on you nodak but I just want to use your quote as an example.

In her example she says she pays 8.8 cents per KWH but when I divide $38.08 by 336KWH I get .113 per KWH.

Why the difference? Well, I think that some people don't realize there are often two different charges for a KWH. One to buy it and one to have it delivered. I specifically asked for total price and KWH's used because your local utility is not always your supplier and often the two charges are not listed together. So you may think you're paying one price when in fact you're paying another and while the average person may not care about a small price differential I'm trying to get an idea of what peoples true cost are. So it's importaint to me. For example: In our case the local utility is Orange&Rockland but we buy our power from ConEd. ConEd charges us 8.2 cents per KWH to buy and O&R charges about 9 cents to deliver it. Thus the roughly .17 per KWH final price. In fact just today I switched to a local supplier that is .0037 cents cheaper per KWH. That'll only save me a buck or two a month but why should I pay them more than I have to?

Maybe you can find a better price here: http://www.eere.energy.gov/greenpower/markets/pricing.shtml?page=0

Thanks again for all the input.
    Scotty

17. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

sw pa

tlast month I used 2,050 KWH at an end cost of .06 cents per KWH. $123 bucks, but since I am on a budget and runing behind I am paying 150 a month.
    I took extra pains to live cold and dark this month tonight at midnight when I read the meter i will see if my KWpinching has done any good.
    In the spring/summer/fall i dont use over 1000KWH a month.
    this summer i'm going to get in the habot of shutting the main breaker off when I leave the house, as i have read as much as 15% of your consumptyion is from stuff you have plugged in but turned OFF.

I'll keep you informed.

18. nebula5

nebula5 Well-Known Member

I'm also in NY state, NYSEG customer, last bill 610 kwh, total charge $81.94.
    approx 13.4 cents per kwh. This was alittle low for us- usually about 700 kwh/month.
    I'm amazed to see the variation in what people pay for their electricity.

19. mistletoad

mistletoad Well-Known Member Supporter

I track our electric in a spreadsheet - the figures I gave included all fees and taxes. I too am amazed at the variation.

20. jlxian

jlxian Also known as Jean Supporter

Southwest Missouri -- latest bill has 600 KwH at 0.0719 and 198 KwH at 0.0452. Total bill is $60.84, which includes an $8.75 "customer charge" included.

Oh, yes, do keep the quote. Its great.