How much is this worth - help please.

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by deberosa, Sep 3, 2004.

1. deberosa

deberosa SW Virginia Gourd Farmer!

I happened upon an opportunity this week that I really would like to take advantage of. Sitting along the roadside there was the very interesting structure in the link below.

It is the 1962 Worlds Fair "House of Tomorrow" ! Make and offer...

I see a roadside stand for whatever business I would like to go into. Easy landmark. I have a large field between my main homestead and the road that I own. I could put it out there with a driveway to it and traffic would never go into my homestead itself. Paint it a great color, fix it up a bit. I am just looking at the shell - it's double layers of fiberglass with some kind of foam in between. It's had a hard life. Sign says it pulls apart - but I think the seams would break - it's about 30 feet in diameter. Was thinking replacing with some soft rubber seems.

Then there is the option to move in one piece. In which case I would need to build the road now because there is a 6 ft bank to the field and my driveway on the other side of my property is heavy timber and narrow. I think it's best to bring it in in pieces? Took a coworker out to see it. He is not as visionary as me. ;-)

How do you patch fiberglass? Paint fiberglass - will this be too hard to do?

All I can see is the Deberosa nursery stand. Sitting with my antique barn in the background and my peacocks wondering around.... People have a nice protected area to shop for their goods - whatever it is I decide to sell. Figured I would set it up directly on the ground taking out all of the other stuff in there - put bark or gravel on the floor inside, seal the window areas with some clear plastic and take a satellite dish upside down to cover the round hole in the top.

What do you all think - am I crazy??? For goodness sake ELVIS was in this house!!!

1962 World's Fair House of Tomorrow

2. chickflick

chickflick Well-Known Member

Oh, Deb.. this is so exciting!!! (I didn't see anything on the link tho.. didn't work) BUT.. if you get it.. I'll send you a nice set of MELMAC for your housewarming!! :):)

3. deberosa

I think I fixed the link - try it again.

I am excited about it - no one else around here is though, but that is why I think I can get it cheap. It's been there a year I know and vandals are starting to throw rocks at it.... I will have a patch or to to do on the shell.

4. clc79092

clc79092 Member

Is that the Buckminster Fuller dymaxion house? Your link is not working.

5. deberosa

Try it again please - Some day I will get this to work the first time - sorry!

6. Ken in Maine

Ken in Maine Well-Known Member

Man... I'd buy it in a heart beat if it was in Maine... Grab it!!!!

7. deberosa

It's 25 miles away on the other Side of Olympia. I am thinking it will have to get here in pieces - but it got there from Seattle somehow!

8. peanutgreen

peanutgreen Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what to do about moving it, but I it looks like it would be a really fun place to have as a veggie stand. It could be painted to look like the top half of a pumpkin poking out of the ground. That alone would get people to stop. Good luck with it, and let us know how it goes.

9. deberosa

That's a great idea! The original space needle was pumpkin colored for the Fair - they painted it white afterwards. So it would also fit with that theme.

10. Laura

Laura Well-Known Member

Hey, I drove past that several times last month out there on the Yelm Highway! We were reminicsing about the times we visited it at the world's fair and when it was a cafe. I only vaguely remember what it looked like last time it was in use. We were wondering what we could do with it, but since it is not free for the hauling, we couldn't come up with any practical use to make it worth dragging 200 miles home, besides to make DH have a cow.

Now if I COULD drag it home to the rain forest, I would cover it with moss, then??????

Oh yeah, you patch fiberglass with a fiberglass patch kit which consists of webbing and resin, just like you use on boats, Not hard to do at all. It will take some prepping to paint, but everything does.

Let us know what you decide and post lots of pictures if you do get it. We would come visit it, too. It is an interesting bit of our history we would like to continue to follow.

11. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

thats is so cool.... I could live in that.

fiberglass can be repaired easy with several different methods. a veggie stand would be wild.

12. PonderosaQ

PonderosaQ Well-Known Member Supporter

No idea what it might be worth. You can always try offering something really low to get an idea how they react or just straight out ask the owner what they are expecting/hoping to get. If their answer seems out in left field tell them the reasons you can think of why it isn't worth that much....especially to you.

It's such cool idea. NO-ONE would ever forget your farm stand. That alone is worth the effort if the price is right. Heck the local paper would probably be happy to follow up on the arrival, refurbishing, grand opening etc. Any codes to worry about where you are?

Fiberglass is easy to patch with a little effort. Any kit for a boat or a car would be suitable.

It's good you have vision..even if the others in your world don't. "Your family" here will give you lots of support and encouragement!

PQ

13. Ohiosteve

Ohiosteve Well-Known Member

I like it! If at all possible I would try to move it in one peice. How far do you have to take it? You might try to get a moble home moving outfit to move it for you. Around here they manage to get mobile homes into some awfully difficult places.

14. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

This is a 'wild and crazy' idea on moving. Check around to see if there is a company which airlifts large items using a helicopter. If the frame it is sitting on comes with it, there might be cables run to the central point and the whole thing airlifted at once to your place.

Otherwise check with housemoving companies for an estimate. Looks like all they would need to do is jack it up a bit more to their their trailers under. Can't weight anywhere near what a convention structure of the same size would.

On an offer, decide what it is worth to you delivered. Then subtrack out moving costs and offer what is left.

Ken Scharabok

15. Ky gal

Ky gal Well-Known Member

I sure wouldn't forget something as unique as that! :D

16. deberosa

Small world! I'm glad I am alot closer - even have located a friend with a flatbed. No DH to have a cow either! :haha: I think I will need to take it apart. This friend says he thinks a professor in Ellensburge tried to market them as homes and that the mold still does exist somewhere. So it did used to be Genoa's Cafe? What do you think I should offer for it - my budget is not that big....

17. deberosa

I live across the road from a salvage yard so I don't think my house of the future will be a big deal. :) Don't plan on putting in a foundation, just gravel/bark mulch floor so no codes either.

It is amazing that people I know around here have such little vision. My realtor friend saw the value right away though- he has had many businesses and been very successful in his day. He e-mailed me this morning that I am right on with the veggie stand idea. :)

18. deberosa

That's what I was thinking so I am contacting movers first, they listed the mover that got it to that spot on the sign so I am starting there. It would be like moving a house though, because it is two lanes of highway wide so the logistics are mind boggling to me but I know it's done all the time!

19. Mike in Ohio

Mike in Ohio Well-Known Member

I think it's a great idea Deb. Having said that you need to do as Ken suggests and calculate out all the expenses associated with moving it and preparing the site.

If you have already been considering a roadside business this would provide you a lot of free publicity. I'm sure you wouldn't have much of a problem getting listed in tourist guides, etc.

Mike

20. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

If you go for this, please keep us periodically informed on the project.

While researching moving and setting up requirements and cost, also check into those for running a produce stand. You will have to meet some state requirements and will have to locate supply sources.

Once established, you might be able to use trimming and spoiled produce to raise a couple of feeder hogs.

Ken Scharabok