How much is Old windmill towers going for?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Oilpatch197, Mar 8, 2005.

1. Oilpatch197

Oilpatch197 Well-Known Member

what is a reasonable price to pay for a no longer functioning windmill tower?

I see them all over the place, some are even abandoned, I would like to get one and pop some antennas on top of it.

2. farminghandyman

farminghandyman Well-Known Member Supporter

I have bought a compleat windmill 12' in working order with the tower 40' for $500,

and have been given the opertunity to get a 40' 10' tower for $100
    both steel towers, aermotor brand,

a lot will depend on if they see it as history or junk, if they see it as history you will not buy it for any price but if there is not history to them (just bought the place and was not grand dads they may pay you to take it down),

if there are electrical wires atached to it, forget it,

3. Oilpatch197

Oilpatch197 Well-Known Member

Okay, great, I know alot of abandoned farmhouses with rusty windmills. :)

4. Quint

Quint Well-Known Member

Go around town looking for places with TV antenna towers. Take a good look at the antenna and you can pretty much guess if they are being used or not. Most can be had for little or nothing. In fact I have 5 of them that I was actually paid to take away. They will end up working better for your purposes probably.

5. WisJim

WisJim Well-Known Member Supporter

Depends on lots of things--how rusty, how tall, how complete, how easy to get down (is it in a bunch of trees now, or was a shed built so close as to cause difficulties in taking it down), etc.
    I paid $150 for the 55 foot tower that my windgenerator now sits on. It was complete, galvanizing looked almost new, disassembled and inside a building when I bought it, with the bolts in a bag. Paid $100 for another that was not quite as nice, a little surface rust on it. I wouldn't pay much if I had to take it down, as it is easy to bend it up if you lower it down, and a pain in the neck to disassemble it from the top down.
    Oh, and the price would depend a lot on how far from home it was--further to haul it, further to drive to take it down, more time involved.

If it is just for antennas, I would check out the straight towers made for antennas instead of a good windmill tower that could be used for its intended purpose. Might be cheaper and easier to deal with, too.

Jim