How much is feed in your area?

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Reauxman, Nov 30, 2005.

1. Reauxman

Reauxman Well-Known Member

I pay about $14.50 per 100 lbs now. Recently found where I can get it for $13 per 100, a better feed. I will be stopping there when I make shows that way I can promise.

What do you pay?

2. rzrubek

rzrubek Flying Z

$10.25 per 50# bag of Star brand

3. Tarot Farm

Tarot Farm Well-Known Member

Depending on the brand name and the feed store:

Nutrena - $ 7.99-$9.99

Purina (green bag) - $ 10.99 - $13.35

Country Acres - $ 8.99 - $10.99

Prices are for 50 lb bags

4. BearCreekFarm

BearCreekFarm Well-Known Member

$7.62 for 50 pounds of 18% feed. We wait till it is on sale and buy a half-ton at a time.

5. Maggie

Maggie Well-Known Member Supporter

BearCreekFarm: On SALE? Does your feed mill actually have feed on sale? That is unheard of around here! Maggie

6. Maggie

Maggie Well-Known Member Supporter

Forgot to list the price--$9.85/50# Purina: green bag.
    Have a great day, Maggie

7. Reauxman

I am not into feed brands. Usually if you have it half way across the country, I don't want it. By the time it sits and then ships to me, it may be several months old. I buy local feeds, milled within 200 miles of here. I did at one time feed Purena. I didnt care for the way my rabbits looked while on it. Both Purena and Lone Star had large pieces, which meant that the kits wouldn't eat until later than with the small pieces, and when they did, they were wasting a lot.

8. Tracy

Tracy Well-Known Member

Nutrena 17% protein, under $7.00 per bag [50 lbs] but this is in quantity discounts as I buy 3 tons at a time. I order directly through the manufacturer and the semi delivers the following week.
    In turn I pass the savings on to my growers and they get feed directly from me as the local mill charges over $10.00 per 50 lb bag. $3.00 a bag adds up if you are feeding lots of rabbits.

9. Jennifer L.

Jennifer L. Well-Known Member Supporter

Here in Northern NYS I get Pro Manna and DuMor at Tractor Supply. The Pro Manna was 8.92/50 # the last time I got it. The Dumor was probably 50 cents more. I think they also sell another feed another $1 higher than that, as well.

Jennifer

10. Sinenian

Sinenian Well-Known Member

25 Cents a pound.

.25 x 100 = $25 per 100 Pounds.

Guess mine is a lot more expensive than yours.
    Is there anyway I can ask my feed store to give me a discount if I buy in large bulk? Do you think they will sell in bulk?

11. Tucker

Tucker Well-Known Member

Where in the World do you live that they sell by the pound weight ,, what size bags do you buy ??

$12.50 for a 50 pound bag ??

I think you should let your fingers do some calling and maybe locate different sources of feed ,,

3 local / small feed stores closed near me last year :( ,,,

the ones that are left ,, all 14 - 18+ miles from me ,, most sell Pureina for $10 to $11+ tax a 50 pound bag ,,

some sell Mid-State or Southern State for $8.25 - $8.75 for 50 pounds ,, both are milled nearby ,,,, Cleveland Mills $8.50 - $9.00 50pd .. its milled just 32 miles from here ,, but thats also the closest place to buy it ,, since the 3 stores closed :mad:

12. Rachel K.

Rachel K. Well-Known Member

I usually buy the 25 pounds bags as I am currently only feeding one Rabbit. 25 pounds costs between $4.00 and $5.00 but I can also get 50 pound bags between $7.00 and $8.00. Goat feed is what is eating me out of house and home right now. I get 50 pounds for $10.00 and it will usually last me a month. Now that winter is here they will be eating almost twice as much...

13. jailbirds

jailbirds Active Member

HI
    I have to say I have to travel about 45 min one way to get purnia feeds, I pay 10.50 for a 50 lb bag. I have two differnt places I can get it and they are both the same distance away and they both sell it for the same price.

We have a local agway that sells blue seal it is either a 16 or 17% feed for $11.99 a 50 lb bag. this store is 10 min away from me. but my rabbits didnt do so well on the feed.

We raise both harlequins, English angoras and Britania Petite.
    Have a great day
    Kim

14. rabbitgal

rabbitgal Ex-homesteader

I'm paying a little over $8.50/50# for Blue Seal (don't remember the exact amt., and we're using two different formulas). Was getting a cheap feed store brand much cheaper, but it really wasn't that good. We can also get Purina, TSC brands, and Manna Pro in our area for a bit more.

Y'know, don't be afraid to ask your feed store straight out if they can give you a discount if you buy in bulk. Doesn't hurt to ask. Our local TSC already has the bulk discounts posted in the feed aisle.

15. LizinNH

LizinNH Well-Known Member

Blue Seal Bunny 16 is 9.15 a 50 Lb. bag here.

Liz in NH

16. tenacres

tenacres Well-Known Member

Buy it from the local feed mill packaged in their standard white feed bags -$4.00 for 50 lbs.

17. Reauxman

Wow. We don't grow alfalfa anywhere around here, so that adds to the cost too.

18. slfisher

slfisher Well-Known Member

$10 per 50-pound bag from the local mill.