How much is a cord of wood in your area?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Quiver0f10, Aug 25, 2005.

1. Quiver0f10

Quiver0f10 Well-Known Member

We paid $165/cord in Maine for seasoned hardwood but we purchased from a guy in Canada.

How much is it near you?

2. WisJim

WisJim Well-Known Member Supporter

We pay about $60 to $80 a full cord, in a load of 6 to 8 cords, in 8 foot lengths, cut since last winter. Of course, we need to cut it to length and split it, and we try to do it a year ahead so it dries well, but I am willing to spend the money rather than take the time and cut in our own woods, as much of my woods is ravines and steepsided creek bottom. The nice thing is that my 3 sons cut and split a bit whenever they stop by, so the pile of firewood grows and the pile of logs shrinks pretty quickly.

3. BobK

BobK Well-Known Member

$175-200 for almond split and dumped in the yard.....to cut it myself it is still $125 per cord for access to a old orchard.

4. MRSSTEAK

MRSSTEAK Well-Known Member

$10 a cord for the permit and we cut it ourselves. If you buy it already cut up, it's $90 to $100 a cord for Red Fir.

5. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

Didn't buy any last year. The year before that was $65 per cord in 12 cord delivered and stacked in loads of 8 foot lengths. This was hardwood poplar or mixed with ash and maple of logs about 6 to 12" in diameter. This year due to fuel cost increases it will probably be about $80/cord

6. mamakatinmd

mamakatinmd Well-Known Member

in my area it is 140.00 - 160 a cord for cut and split mixed hardwood delivered. You can get 2 cords of mixed for 100.00 delivered in lengths that you have to cut and split yourself.

7. Cindy in NY

Cindy in NY Well-Known Member Supporter

$175 - $200 a cord for split, seasoned mixed hardwoods delivered.

8. affenpinschermom

affenpinschermom Well-Known Member

Here in southern Ky. it is really cheap. We cut our own but I hear it on the radio for sale for $75 to $90 a full face cord and sometimes that is delivered! Of course a lot of these people are just supplementing their "disability" checks, so they can afford to work cheap.

9. airotciv

airotciv Well-Known Member Supporter

Here in Oregon, at least my area, $125.00 for soft wood and $175.00 to $ 200.oo for hard woods. Then there are the mixes of hard and soft woods.

10. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

Be careful on what constitutes a 'cord'. I believe the standard is 4' x 4' x 8'. However, some areas confuse it with ricks, racks, face cords, pickup load, etc.

I'm picking up tie ends for a friend free from a local sawmill. However, there is the cost of fuel and vehicle wear and tear.

11. tooltime

tooltime Border Ruffian

Ken,

I wonder how much regional variation there is in these terms.

A cord of wood is 4' by 4' by 8', but that's not 128 cubic feet of solid wood. Probably around 80 cubic feet unless you have large unsplit rounds and then closer to 100 cubic feet.

A face cord is one is 4' high by 8' long by the length of the firewood; somewhere between 16" and 24", so could be 2 to 3 face cords in a cord of wood.

I thought a rick was the same as a face cord, but I've heard others say different. I never hurt rack, some say it's the same as rick.

With careful stacking, I can get 1/2 cord on a pickup load.

Not looking to start an argument, just interested in hearing how others use these terms.

12. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

Very interesting stuff this! Here in Montana the going rate is 85-105 per full cord of doug fir mixed with lodgepole pine. This is already cut to size but not delivered, that is extra!

13. Cindy in NY

Cindy in NY Well-Known Member Supporter

dandrea - if that's the price for a face cord (rick), then mulitply by 3 to get the cost for a full cord. That's more than we are paying and I thought we were paying way too much!

14. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

tooltime,
    The full cord here is 4' high by 4' deep by 8' long.

15. GrannyG

GrannyG Well-Known Member

We pay $120 for a cord of seasoned split oak. Sometimes we barter home made sour dough bread and fresh eggs for the pieces that are knarly or too small to sell otherwise.

16. affenpinschermom

affenpinschermom Well-Known Member

Correction, on the price of firewood in S.Central Kentucky, it is $75 to $90 a full cord, not a face cord. Actually here in Ky. they call a face cord a rick. it is $25 to $30 a face cord (rick)

17. MaineFarmMom

MaineFarmMom Columnist, Feature Writer

Seasoned, sawed and split in this part of Maine is $175 a cord.

We had eight cords of tree length that's been down for 18 months delivered. We'll start sawing and splitting tomorrow.

18. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

I rarely see it for sale by the cord, etc. I saw in the paper this week though that mixed hardwoods, split and delivered by the 8 ft. truckload: $60

19. FarmerJeff

FarmerJeff Well-Known Member

Just bought a load of 8 cords of log lengths. $100 a cord. In parts of New Hampshire near Mass, cut and split is $260 delivered and there is even a guy delivering and stacking 1/4 cords of 3 year seasoned wood to condos and vacation homes for $250! That's $1000 a cord, albeit much more labor!!!

20. woodspirit

woodspirit Well-Known Member

firewood around here sells for 65.00 per facecord delivered A facecord is 4ft by 8 ft and 12" long or 14" long or 16" long depends on what customer wants.
    It is usually mixed hardwoods like oak, hickory, ash, maple, cherry, or beech Some retail stores sell it for 75.00 per facecord then $15.00 per delivery and then charge tax... making it about $97.00 per facecord delivered. They can't keep it in stock. Selling maybe 250 to 300 facecords per year. they also get about $10.00 for a "carpack" which is supposed to be 2x2 but actually is about 10 to 15 pieces of wood. I'm not too sure how smart people around Rochester, ny are. Anyone with half a brain can buy it for 65.00 delivered to their door. I think that its just laziness and too much money.