Homesteading Forum banner

Does religion impact homesteading

• The reason I homestead is based completely on my religion.

• My religious peice of mind comes from homesteading, not orginized religion

• homesteading is a personal choice completely seperate from my religion

• Religion has impacted some of my choices to homestead, but it is not the most major factor

Results are only viewable after voting.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't just mean christian religion, but any religious belief system; orginized or not? I tried to be as full scope as possible with the poll, but if none of the above apply, please feel free to respond explaining your stance.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
I have been homesteading over 40 years.At first it was for self suffiency,then it became a privacy issue and now it is back to self suffiency.Living so close to the land,watching animals born and die,watching the seasons come and go and realizing this is the life that I have chosen.All this and more has had an impact on the way I see nature and people.I cannot deny it has heightened my religious beliefs.I think I am a better person for it.I hope I am.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Our small homestead is based on FAITH. Our faith in GOD has grown since we moved here, we know that without him none of this would have been possible, we thank him for all our blessings.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I think its a good poll made me think. I live the way i do because i always lived this way i was born into the life style. dad and mom didn't know they was homesteaders .I think their is no way i could look at the land,trees etc and not have religion .

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
You didn't have 'my religion is the main, but not only, reason I homestead". And btw, piece of mind is completely different from peace of mind!

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
MarleneS said:
You did not have a "religion has nothing whatsoever to do with my homesteading," choice :)

Marlene
I didn't want to be splitting hairs.....I think your answer fits within the homesteading personal choice answer :)

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Whether I accept the Endtimes scenarios or not (I actually do but probably with my own unigue interpretation), I do think great carnal and secular troubled times are just ahead and preparations would need to occur in advance in order to possibly somewhat soften the landing (from any of several sorts of possible crashes that might/will occur) for myself and a few around me.

Besides, consumption (of products acquired from other people's efforts) was in the centuries passed and still should be considered a terrible and unhealthy vice. Its better to produce what you can for yourself.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
My faith has absolutely nothing to do with my homesteading tendency... although honestly There are tons of Christians moving in to the area to homestead and I'm not one to believe in coincidences... so I'm thinking God is orchestrating SOMETHING here... and to be honest I do believe that God gave me the desire to homestead... but I'd still be doing it if I was an atheist so I can safely say the 2 aren't necessarily DIRECTLY connected.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
I chose option 4, for lack of a perfect choice. Our faith and the desire to live it is the major reason we homestead, but not the only one.

·
Premium Member
7,230 Posts
my religious peace of mind as it were (maybe just my overall psychic wellbeing) comes from being out of doors and in nature. Homesteading (or my version- having a few acres and gardening way beyond the average for Americans; even those who own a few acres) helps me attain that. I'm not religious but as much as I am looking out my windows or being in the garden with my dog helps me get there.

·
Nohoa Homestead
5,398 Posts
There is no connection between my choice to homestead and my religious beliefs.

That having been said, however, I think that so many ancient ritual practices evolved over time into religious observation that it is really impossible to separate the two. For instance ALL of the ancient pagan (and many of the ancient celtic) beliefs and rituals are totally based on agricultural events such as planting, harvest, the end of the growing season, etc.

Being a homesteader means you are much more in tune with the forces of nature i.e. "god" than the non-homesteader.

donsgal

·
Premium Member
16,652 Posts
Hi everyone,
I guess I'm the new kid on the block here. Although not actually homesteading yet, I found your group while trying to learn how to start. Our reasons for wanting to homestead are partially faith based reasons and partially because we believe that those who don't homestead are heading for deep trouble. The way the world is today we realized that we couldn't depend on anyone or anything other than God and ourselves.

Sonshine

·
Premium Member
1,120 Posts
for me i try to keep "organized religion" out of my like if i can. my desire to homestead and to chart my own course in the world are just a part of me and i try not to fight it. i did that for a long time and i was unhappy so in order to be more content with myself ive decided to homestead as much as i can here and work towards that bigger place in the future.

dean

·
Premium Member
1,120 Posts
BTW welcome aboard sonshine

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I am actually supprised at how few associate the two.......I think if you say homesteader to the general public there is a stereo type that it means that we are religious extremests almost. I know there are alot of non-religious homesteaders like myself, but even I see our life style as being a religion through the connection it gives us to the earth.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts