How much hay?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Kimi, Apr 17, 2005.

1. Kimi

Kimi Active Member

Wondering about how much hay would I need to buy for the winter for 6 goats? (I plan early) I don't want to round bale feed. Should I get straight grass hay or an alfalfa mix? These would be for non-milking does.
    Thanks!

2. goatgirl92

goatgirl92 Active Member

i would use alphalfa mix. it might be more expensive but its got more nutrients and things. i would buy about 50-60 square bales. that should last 4 months if u feed 1 flake a goat, once a day. Goatgirl

3. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

Estimate between four and five tons.

Kathleen

4. xbeeman412

xbeeman412 Well-Known Member

I use the rule of thumb of 5 pounds of hay per goat/day if its alfalfa (thats all I feed).Take the number of days that You plan to feed and multiply times the 5 pounds and divide by the weight of the bale to tell how many bales are needed.

We feed the 4 x 3 x 8 feet bales and I get about 240 goat days of feed per bale.

I have a couple of feeders that are 10 feet long with 4 x 4 inch mesh that hold about 500 pounds of hay that I would sell. Made feeders that hold the entire 4 x 8 bales and dont have to break it up to fill. Wouldnt have to fill it but 8or 9 times all winter. LOL

God Bless and hope this has helped.

5. Kimi

Kimi Active Member

Thank you for the replies! That gives me a pretty good idea of what to plan for.