How much hay -- newbie question

Discussion in 'Goats' started by christij, Jul 19, 2006.

1. christij

christij Well-Known Member

I am fixing to make my first hay purchase. I have 2 NDs and will get two bred milkers in the fall. I plan on buying a grass hay and an alfalfa. And I'm nervous that the fall hay will be limited and lacking in quality since it is so hot here and things are going brown FAST! We need rain bad....

So my question is how much should I buy? My two guys really haven't touched the hay I have right now b/c our fields have kept them happy so I have nothing to judge what my needs will be for fall/winter...

TIA.
    Christie

2. GoatLove

GoatLove Well-Known Member

I buy 10 bales every 2 weeks for my 3 goaties. I have 2 Lamancha/Nubian wethers and a Pygmy wether. They each get a flake in the morning and a flake each in the evening. They waste SO MUCH hay, it is not even funny! I would say half of the flake is wasted on each goat! That is just how goaties are. :rolleyes: Good luck to you and have fun with your sweeties.

3. steff bugielski

steff bugielski Well-Known Member

They say 10 goats to one bale of hay a day.
    steff

4. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

If you just feed it to them on the ground youll lose over half of it. Make some good feeders so they have to work a little to get it out and you can get by on much less. Amounts will vary depending on size but they can get by on a lot less than they will eat. LOL They always act like they are starving

5. Idahoe

Idahoe Menagerie More~on

Ain't that the truth (about acting like they're starving!). Right now I'm throwing it down and hoping they'll waste some of it to cover up the dusty ground around their shelter.

I'm very new too, so this is what I've read/been told: There are two kinds of hay, legume (alfalfa most commonly) and carboniferous (timothy grass, clover, etc). Mine LOVE alfalfa hay, but it is more cost efficient for us to buy alfalfa pellets and the local carboniferous hay. The problem with the latter is not enough protein for a pregnant or lactating goat, or a growing kid IMO, thus the pellets. I think goats prefer alfalfa hay and mine wasted little of it even when tossed on the ground.

What I've heard for quantity is "as much as they will eat" of any sort of hay.

Bucks and wethers shouldn't be fed alfalfa hay only as it is high in calcium, good for milking does/pregnant does but causes kidney stones and bone problems in the boys.