How much hay do you have to get you through winter?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by homebirtha, Oct 22, 2005.

1. homebirtha

homebirtha Well-Known Member

We have 6 goats, two milking, the rest fainters, and we're trying to figure out how much hay to buy to get us through until the pastures comes back.

So, how much do you put up and for how many goats? Thanks all.

2. JR05

JR05 Well-Known Member

My Hubby figures 2 bales a day for the 24 girls we have and then we also have the big rounds which may last them 1-2 weeks depending on the weather. We have mostly dairy, still working the Boers. The boys only get 1 bale a day and a big round for1 week but they have 4 cows to share with.
    With just 6 goats you probably could use just one bale aday so that would be about 5 months worth. Do you grain your goats even once a day would hlep keep them in shape through the winter.

JR05

3. Charleen

Charleen www.HarperHillFarm.com Supporter

We use 2 per day right now. That's for 20 full size dairy goats total, including the boys. Right now I'm feeding first cutting grass hay, but we are also have some Second cutting alfalfa which, when in the hay racks, the goats turn into pigs and would eat as much as I would give them.

We have 2 empty stalls in the goat barn that hold 35 bales each. Our big truck holds 70 bales, so when we pick up hay at the in-law's farm, we just unload the truck into these stalls and I have enough for 1 month at a time.

4. mammawof3

mammawof3 Well-Known Member

We feed big round bales, too around 25 head Boer/boer cross-with some pasture left, we are feeding about 1 every 2-3 weeks, i agree that you should figure on a bale a day. :hand:

5. Kasidy

Kasidy Well-Known Member

I feed 1/2 bale a day to seven goats. Excellent quality 80/20 alfalfa grass mix weighs 70 lbs per bale. Does are Nubian and Alpine milkers who also get grain on the milk stand. They eat about 1/3 bale a day in the summer when they have access to a grass only pasture.