Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We feed alfalfa hay to all of our goats in their pen with a mineral mix available all of the time. At this time we do not feed alfalfa pellets, due to the hay being more readily available and good quality. But my question is, how much grain to feed milking does? :shrug:

We feed the Klassie Goat mix by Ranchway and throw in some BOSS, but the quantity is the question. Can you over feed?

Our one doe is a Togg with a 6 week old buckling still on her and we milk her out twice a day and generally get about 4-5 pounds of milk each milking. The other is a Nubian who lost her twins before we purchased her and she milks 1-3 pounds per milking twice a day.

Thanks for any help you can give me! :)

·
why hide it?
1,586 Posts
Yes you can overfeed.

Is the "grain" mix a dry grain, a sweet feed grain with molasses or is it a pelleted food? The most i would feed is about 1 lb per milking. for your milk amounts. I don't feed any sweet feed anymore as I had problems with it causing bloat and digestive problems. If you do feed sweetfeed, be careful with it and provide free choice baking soda.

I feed more grain on the milkstand to my thinner does than I do to my fatter does. it is individual. But they get about 1-2 lbs per milking. They are giving 1/2 gallon per milking but I only milk 1 x day now. When they were milking heavier and I was milking twice a day, they were getting almost 2 pounds of grain twice a day.

If you overfeed grain, you can set up for entero and bloat, besides, the calcium in the alfala is what makes the milk, not the grain. The grain helps maintain body wieght by providing calories for energy and fat. Hope this helps.

·
Twin-Reflection Nubians
1,014 Posts
I also feed free choice alfalfa hay in the pen.

It really depends on your feed as to how much they need. What are the protein and fat levels?

My does get "offered" 5 lb. of grainon the milkstand divided between the two milkings. They never want more than that, so I don't offer more. My mix is dry. No molasses and no oils. (Mainly because it's easier to mix, but I have also found that in the hot weather they eat the dry grains better than if it had molasses in it. And molsses sours the grain in really hot weather.) I have a 16% protein, 4% fat grain ration made up of cracked corn, whole oats, ProVider 38 Daiy Pellet, BOSS and beet pulp. They LOVE it. They are doing well on it too.

I should aldo add that my does that are gettting about 5 lb of grain a day are 1: yearling milker who is growing like a freakin' weed and can't keep up with herself in the food department.
2: Doe I just got back from another herd where she was being beaten up and not allowed to eat by other does and was also raising twin bucklings. THERFORE, she was WAY WAY WAY too thin and is slowly coming back to her normal body condition and immune system.

·
Registered
887 Posts
I can't remember where I read this but it gave grain amounts according to production.

One third pound of grain per pint produced. A third of a pound of grain works out to about one cup. And a pint weighs about a pound. So for a milking of 4-5 pounds the doe would get between 1 1/3 and 1 2/3 pounds of grain. (or 4-5 cups) For a milking of 1-3 pounds, the doe would get 1/3 to 1 pound (or 1-3 cups).

Mine were getting more than that before I read about the formula. I'm slowing trying to cut them back and increase alfalfa pellets to get that 2/1 alfalfa/grain ratio.

Dee

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here is what the label for the Klassie Goat tells me:
Crude Protien 16%
Crude Fat 3%
Crude Fiber 6%, and thre rest is mineral info.
It recommends that it be fed to milking goats 2-4 pounds daily as needed.
It is a combination of grains, pellets and yes, molasses products. "It also contains "All American Star Shine" to insure palatability and acceptance by finicky eaters."

Thanks for all of the feedback!

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
Weigh the feed in a container you can use as a scoop, such as a quart yogurt container. I fed mine about 2# a day, definitely no more than 3#. For me this was about 1 quart container of grain at each milking, and then I'd throw in about a cup (dry measure) of BOSS.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts