How much Game do you rely on?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by moonwolf, Nov 2, 2004.

1. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

How reliant are you on game (or fish), wild edibles, that you claim off your land to supplement what you grow domestically?
    Do you factor in part of your homesteading to go somewhere off your property to hunt for part of your 'self sufficiency'?
    and would you choose doing the hunting or fishing activities if you could sustain enough by agricultural activities on your farmstead?

List the type of wild game you harvest and your favorites?

I used to hunt more before. Harvest of deer in good weather years when they are plentiful. Moose is a staple for many in this area, though I don't hunt much for them. I also have harvested grouse as a favorite, and occasionaly duck or goose. I don't rely on game, though it could be more of a possibility to spend time with that after domestic harvest (garden and poultry) season. Some hunt black bear in the rural area where they don't feed in the dumps. I haven't tried that, though they've extended the fall season for them since eliminating a spring hunt a few years ago.

2. Haggis

Haggis MacCurmudgeon

We hunt on my property and last year we took 6 deer. Some years when the grouse population is up we get a dozen or two off the place.

Before I got sick we would catch enough Northern Pike to eat fish two or three days a week. We still could if Herself could get me away from the house on a regular basis.

Depending on how the weather is we gather Blueberries, Choke Cherries, or Highbush Cranberries off our place.

No luck on the Black Bear yet. I put out bait every year and something always calls my bear off to greener pastures.

3. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

We don't raise or buy any meat.Eat mostly Deer,Squirrel,and Turkey,in that order.Fish Catfish,Carp,Suckers,Bluegill,and Trout.

big rockpile

4. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

My hubby, my son and both my parents hunt, (I don't anymore) and I usually have plenty of deer, some squirrels, and dove in the freezer. However, I Never 'count' on having it. Hubby is still active duty, and misses more hunting seasons than he's here for. Son is wishy-washy about going. Dad doesn't hunt much anymore. Mom is usually the one I can depend on, but she lives two states away, is 72 and has one eye, so don't know how much longer she'll manage to keep all her daughters in meat!

I just read that back. I have a really weird family....

Meg :)

5. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

Meg- but weird in a good way!

I know many plants native to my fields/woods we can gather and eat, but we don't do it a lot. I can gather a few kinds of mushrooms besides what I grow and some nuts/fruits too.

We dislike deer meat and I don't like fish much so we don't bother with hunting or fishing. My SO grew up eating everything wild and doesn't miss it at all.

Now, let me know when there is an Angus season and I'll be right on it.

6. soulsurvivor

soulsurvivor Well-Known Member Supporter

When hubby and I first married, and were saving for a house to get out of the trailer, we lived off of deer meat supplemented with beans and potatoes and garden we grew on his dad's place. Took us 3 and a half years to save up, but we finally made it back out in the country. We keep 2 freezers in the shop stocked with frozen game and fish, and garden. It's what we eat and still live off of. Deer, squirrel, turtle, frog legs, bass, bluegill, catfish. Also sometimes have dove and quail, rabbit. Everyone we know does this, living off the land. We also usually share a pig and a beef with our in-laws. Sometimes we have turkey if his dad can get one or two, but we're not good turkey hunters. For the fun factor, we prefer fishing to hunting. Me, I prefer fishing for catfish, while hubby and his dad do the rock-fishing for em. We have hunting and fishing privileges on landowners we all know and share with. It's kinda like a bartering system around here, where if you have enough, you share. And there's always a big cookin going on somewhere on the weekends. Have to be honest though, hubby and I both in our older arthritic age, are depending more and more on friends and family for our game and fish. We usually grow enough garden to help them in return. We also babysit their kids, have some of the cookings, and share odd jobs like cutting and stacking wood, mowing yards, that kind of thing. We're all in this together so far, and it's what we wouldn't trade about for being in the country.

7. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

The mercury in the fish, along with the known pollutant corporations in my state, have kept me from eating anything I could catch in the waterways here.

I prefer meat I know about.

8. blhmabbott

blhmabbott We're gettin' there!

We're not nearly as self-sufficient as we have been in the past due to moving to town (and yes, we hate it!). But I can safely say that about 80% of the meat we eat is venison. We've eaten it for so long, that we can't eat the store bought beef, and some pork, without winding up in the bathroom for an extended amount of time (was that delicate enough? :haha: ). We also eat wild turkey, brim, catfish, trout, and crappie. I refuse to eat squirrels or goats because I HAD to eat way to much of them growing up. We can eat store bought chicken ok, but don't like it near as much as our homegrown chicken we had last year. We rely on our deer seasons for most of our meat though, and have to put at least 16 in the freezer to get us through the year. If we can afford to buy a whole hog, we'll do that too. I've got raised beds planted but not having any luck with them. I've planted them twice and not a single thing has come up in them and I don't know why. I've always had at least 1/2 acre gardens, but I can't grow anything in two little raised beds....pathetic huh? Oh well...it's a challenge.
    Heather

9. bubbba

bubbba Well-Known Member

Good luck on the garden blhmabbott I not sure what the problem could be....perhaps the PH is way off
    ???? perhaps u could get some soil analyzed or something like that.
    In so0 far as hunting is concerned I havent been out in years but I think I will make it a goal to get my license and my health in order so that I can take part in a hunt next year. I have severe arthrirtis and damage in my legs so I don't know how much of a hunter I will be but o well its nice to just get out in the woods.

10. cowboy joe

cowboy joe Hired Hand

We harvest wild berries, walnuts, burdock, dandelion, mustard greens and whatever else we run across.

Venison is our main meat staple. With any luck, I'll put two or more in the freezer this year. The coyotes have cleaned out most of the wild rabbits so we've taken to raising our own.

11. Jan Doling

Jan Doling Well-Known Member

blhmabbott : Just to hold you over until you get back to the country:

Out in Los Angelos a group of workers always traded their standard sandwiches for rabbit sandwiches a migrant worker always brought....fresh stuff tasted mighty good to those city folks. Finally, they wanted to have rabbit meat at home, too, so they asked him:

"Jose, where do you get the rabbit meat?"

He said, "They come to the back door and say 'Meow, meow', so me wife, she shoot 'em"!

12. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

subject near and dear to my heart, wild food crafting !
    we pick a couple kinds of mushrooms , and those are food, i dont buy mushrooms , we either have them or we dont, in spring we pick ramps , a wild onion/garlic native to the area
    we wild harvest paw paws , persimmons, black walnuts
    we hunt deer and turkey, we fish crappie and white bass, trout,bluegill,turtle
    i wild harvest raspberry leaves and sumac berries ,blue cohash,berries,plantain,water cress,wild carrot,we just had some wonderfull wild cactus fruit ( tastes kind of like persimmons), and we do eat the cactus too ( its great in chinese hot and sour soup)
    does making maple syrup count?

all in all i would say about 5-7% of our annual supply of food is wildcrafted

13. blhmabbott

blhmabbott We're gettin' there!

Thank you sooooo much Jan! :haha:
    Heather