Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
went away for a couple days and when we came back the hot water tank had died.Off to the lumberyard to get another.small town no selection.$500 and change,,called the plumber to install it..$214.to install..$80 permit cause its gas.WE hate the gas comp here because they charge 2 delivery charges and 2 commodity charges and 2 riders with EACH bill.That comes to around $300 each bill plus what we use.I had wanted to get a elec tank but my elec system and box is so old that it was not possible.Just last tues we bought a new hot water tank for the farm($350).I,m getting fed up with hot water..

·
Registered
11,076 Posts
How about a $100 water tank from Tractor Supply Company and make a solar batch collector out of it? They are uninsulated but fully galvanized and meant for water.

I have been thinking about putting one in my attic to collect heat. The water wouldn't be as hot as normal, but it would be plenty warm for showering, etc.
Well this summer anyway. I would probably also have to close it off at night, i.e. keep it insulated in some way so that it doesn't loose the heat before showering in the morning so that I'm fresh for work.

I would fill it with a small $10 pump and gravity empty it, possibly into my current water heater for storage so that I wouldn't have to insulate or close it off at night.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Last time I needed one our local hardware store, which I am faithful to even with a Lowes nearby, had a brandnew electric WH but the outer skin was dented. It only dented the outside and crushed the insulation a little, the tank was fine. I was able to get that plus all the piping needed to move it to the back porch instead of in the kitchen where it was, and also all the wiring and new breaker needed, for only 125.00! Now tell me why I should go to a "superstore" instead of the local mom and pop places!

·
Premium Member
8,863 Posts
Got an electric Marathon lifetime warrenty 80 gal heater installed for $120 total. Believe it is an $800 tank.....

Many electric coops have such deals, if you allow it to be hooked up as off-peak controled.

--->Paul

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
In Sept. 2005.....40 gal propane water heater...$ 359.99.....installation free by husband.

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
HW heaters are NOT hard to install. And unless the heater has rotted through and is leaking, there is a good chance that it's either an element or thermostat in need of replacement. Easy and cheap to do. Just a tip.

·
Registered
6,977 Posts
Priced a new 40 gal gas water heater from our gas company. About $400 installed 12 mo. to pay no interest.

·
Premium Member
2,448 Posts
I paid $135 for a 40 gal. one seven years ago at Loew's, for a gas water heater, inc. 9% state tax, and BF installed it. ldc

1 - 9 of 9 Posts