How much for weaner pigs?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by snoozy, Feb 25, 2004.

1. snoozy

snoozy Well-Known Member Supporter

I've got a couple of Duroc weaner pigs lined up @ $60 each. I'm in western WA. How much do any of you pay for (or sell) weaners? Please specify whether they are purebred or crossbred, and what area of the country (or which country) you are in. I'm just curious.

2. tobo6

tobo6 Well-Known Member

Hi,

I can tell you that I was at a livestock sale in Centralia Washington 2 weeks ago and weiner pigs were selling at the lowest from $57-and the highest I think $90. It was a big difference from December prices when I picked up a weiner pig for $11. I live in Northwest Oregon and I know in the paper they usually go for around $40-50.

Hope that helps you some. :)

mljjranch

3. tobo6

tobo6 Well-Known Member

Oops forgot to add that these pigs were Yorkshire. There were a couple pigs that were black with the white stripe around its middle (forgot the name) but they were selling at the same price as the Yorkshires.

mljjranch

4. Cara

Cara Well-Known Member

We are in central western Oregon and they are $45-50 for meat and around $100 for breeders at weaning.

5. Mullers Lane Farm

Mullers Lane Farm Well-Known Member

Hampshires.

This isn't a fair answer. We're in NW IL and get our weaners around $12-$15 each complete with first shots, ears notched and tails docked. It helps that the hog farmer is a member of our church. He sells to us for what he has into them at the time.

6. MamaWolfInWV

MamaWolfInWV Well-Known Member

I usually pay $20-$30 for weaner Hampshires. "Roasting size" usually goes for $50-$100.

7. Snowdancer

Snowdancer Well-Known Member

$25 for a 30-35# piglet/weaned. Southern Kentucky.
    duroc/hamp crosses

8. Tracy in Idaho

Tracy in Idaho Well-Known Member Supporter

Crossbreds were $30 at the sale last week.

By the way -- a 550 lb sow sold for 4 cents a pound. Yes, four cents. A total of $22. Anyone ever butched a sow that big? We figured if we fed her out for a month to allow for any med withdrawls, even with the fat waste it was a heck of a deal.

Tracy

9. snoozy

snoozy Well-Known Member Supporter

550lbs!! For $22?!! Hey, I've got another question -- if poultry and sheep can get to old to be good eating (without heroic marination & technique), do hogs get to be too old/big for good eating? I mean, does they get tough and really only candidates for sausage?

10. blhmabbott

blhmabbott We're gettin' there!

Weiner pigs in NW TN go for around $10-$20, depending on who you buy them from. I would butcher a hog no matter what the weight because you could always make a years worth of sausage and leave more fat on the roasts, etc. to help in making a potential tough cut of meat more tender if cooked in the crock pot. Can't imagine any cut of pork being tough if enough fat is left on and slow cooked all day in the crock pot with mushroom soup :) . Just my opinion.....
    Heather

11. Gimpy_Magoo

Gimpy_Magoo Well-Known Member

We just got back from the Atchison sale barn here in Kansas.
    saw little piglets at 8 bucks each and the big huge eatin kind at 60 bucks.

sorry 'bout my terminoligy but I know nothing about pigs.

Gimpy

12. I just walked in from my area sale barn and weeners were going around 20 - 30 dollars depending on breed. Good Roasters were going around $40, breeder pigs for around 37 cents a pound, also depending on breed, and 500 pounders were going around 8 cents a pound.

Wished I had a lot of Boer nanny and kid goats to sell, 1 to 7 day olds were going around 30 - 35 each, and upward around 50 if with papers. Nannys were going around the 100 dollar range and with papers around 130 - 140. These goast seem to be going for twice as high as they were during the fall. One pure bread full grown billy with papers went for $195. Up about 50 from last fall.