how much for a truck canopy?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Paul Wheaton, Dec 20, 2004.

1. Paul Wheaton

Paul Wheaton Well-Known Member

How much does a canopy for a full size pickup cost? I have a 1978 Ford F-250. I just want something plain for hauling chickens to the butcher, picking up / delivering goats and pigs, putting some groceries in the back.

Anybody know what this sort of thing usually goes for?

2. limey

limey Well-Known Member

Paul - I just bought a used canopy for my Dodge Ram 250 Long bed and paid just over $600 for it with tax!! A new one would have been $1200 to $1500 so I opted for the used one. I am not happy with it and will have to take it back as it does not fit the sides of the truck properly (it leaks - I found out the hard way!). Not sure if I will be successful as most of the used ones are bought "as is". I think what they charge for canopies is a rip off. There is not much to them and what they charge is ridiculous. I should have stuck with the tarp!! I could get just as much stuff in my minivan and it stayed dry. Oh well - live and learn.

Diane

3. Dave in Ohio

Dave in Ohio Well-Known Member

Try e-bay, I found one that fit my truck and it was a decent color and it was within driving distance. I paid $200

4. Ozarks_1

Ozarks_1 Well-Known Member

Check your local auto salvage yard.

Also check yard sales ... I got one earlier this year for $20 that way. Only "problem" with it was no key.

5. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

A homemade stock rack with a tarp tied over it when needed wouldn't cost very much and would allow you to haul tall things if you wanted without removing the topper.

6. Jan Doling

Jan Doling Well-Known Member

Can't help you with the price as I haven't had a truck for the past 5 years, but the Connestoga topper I had on it was great. I opted for one with a long fold-upwards window on each side in addition to the hatch window-door in back. I had to take a lot of ribbing from co-workers who thought I would be selling hot dogs during the lunch hour, but I never had to crawl in the back door and slither on my tummy to the far regions of the pick up bed. I even camped in it and the side windows kept it well ventilated. Just thought I'd throw in my 2 cents before you bought a cover!