Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
1 acre homesteaders
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to sheep. Was wondering what price was good for a lamb and at what age/weight we should get them? We are looking to grow out for 6-8 months and butcher late fall. Anyone in Midcoast Maine selling lambs? Thanks for any help you all can offer.

Mark

·
Registered
281 Posts
Don't know about your region, but over here you get spring weanlings from late May to July for $75-$80 a head. You want them to be around 4 months old a few younger or older is fine and weighing 80+ pounds. I would recomend a blackface breed because they are bred for meat and are quicker to mature to market weight than your wool breeds. Feed them through the summer butcher in October awesome freezer meat.

·
In memoriam
79,016 Posts
Around here an 80 lb lamb will bring at least $130. If you figure on getting half the weight in edible meat, then thats only $3.25 per lb, compared to $9.99 per lb for lamb chops or $5.99 for a leg at the grocery store

That not an auction or "sale barn" price though. Thats what I get selling off the farm for pasture raised Dorpers.

·
FourCountryGals.com
149 Posts
We generally get about $1.00 a pound for live lambs. Right now, I've got two lambs listed on Craigslist for 110 a piece, and they weigh at least 100 pounds.

Last year we got 125 for each of the two lambs we sold, and when they went to market, they were 7 months old and weighed close to 130 pounds.

At auction, they're bringing more like 75 to 80 cents a pound for market lambs.

·
1 acre homesteaders
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
about 100 miles, 2-21/2 hours away. We are on a tight budget and are looking to save money, not start a flock just now, as we don't have the space to sustain any more than 3 or 4. We are looking for something to buy/raise/slaughter to provide quality meat(besides our wonderful chicken) for our family.

mark

·
Premium Member
1,691 Posts
I live in upstate NY about 8 miles north of the PA. boarder. There is a WONDERFUL fair in Harford PA. just have their 150th year. I went 4 years ago to watch the 4-H kids show their animals ( my boys were in 4-H and I was a leader). I was sooo impressed by an 8 year old girl trying to show her uncooperative lamb in the 4-H class. Her big sister came into the ring to give a little help and then backed away to let her finish the class, very low keyed showing as young 4-H should be. When she came out of the ring she hugged the lamb and starting crying. Her sister, brother, father, grandfather all were there and I could see it was a family affair and NOT all about winning.

I went up to her, told her what a lovely lamb she had and she was thrilled. L-O-N-G story short I asked her if she would raise one for me for the next year. I just picked up my 3rd lamb from her last Friday at the fair after she was done showing him. Sarah has grown so in the 4 years I have watched her show. She knows this year, for the first time, where the lambs go after I get them. I always take time off to go to the fair and see her with "my" lamb in the show ring. We chat over the phone during the year and she keeps me up to date on the lambs progress from birth to show day.

To answer the origional question, I gave her and her family $150 for the lamb this year, weighed 88lbs. She walks me to the truck to say good-bye to the lamb and I give her a $20 bill, JUST FOR SARAH, I tell her. Worth EVERY penny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...Joan

PS: My 4th is on order for 2008

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.