how much food by law are you allowed to store?

Discussion in 'Survival & Emergency Preparedness' started by hardworkingwoman, May 12, 2011.

1. hardworkingwoman

hardworkingwoman Well-Known Member

Hi,

I am wondering if anyone has ever heard that we are only allowed by law to only store 2 weeks worth of food. My mother in law told me back in the old days they would bury their food so the government wouldn't confiscate it. Was this only venison that they couldn't keep or everything?

Thanks!

2. stanb999

stanb999 Well-Known Member

Most likely just wild game. PA law is you can have twice the legal daily take after the first day. So for instance the limit on pheasent is 2 a day. So after hunting the second day; you could have a max of 4. Same with fish. Deer however are to be consumed within 6 months. Tho things like this are largly unenforced...It's more to prove poaching.

People would likely have way more than that even if they weren't a "prepper". I mean 20 lbs of potatoes would put you over the top.

Last edited: May 12, 2011

3. Sweetsurrender

Sweetsurrender Well-Known Member

The government recommends that you have 2 weeks of food and water on hand but as far as I know there is no limit to how much food you can stockpile right now. There are limits to stockpiling during times of war but I don't believe any such limit exists right now.

4. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

There is no law against storing food, however, they can change laws any time "they" want. Store as much as you reasonably can and keep quiet about it.

There have been different times, usually during war, that food was rationed. That is probably what your mother was referring to. Sometimes people had to declare what they already had on hand and that was deducted from their ration. I would never declare to anybody what I have. None of their business.

5. stanb999

stanb999 Well-Known Member

That is a shockingly kind statment. :cowboy:

Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2011
  6. Becka

Becka Well-Known Member Supporter

I believe the state of Hawaii has a law that you can't have more than 2 weeks worth of food on hand. I don't know about any other states.

7. TnAndy

TnAndy Well-Known Member Supporter

Idiot lawmakers pass idiot laws all the time.

While I may consider them as suggestions, I don't consider myself bound by them at all.

For example, the road going out of our valley goes thru 6 miles of woods with no houses or driveways coming off of it. The posted speed is 30mph.....a completely ridiculous speed that nobody, including myself, follows. I generally do 50-60, unless entering a curved section, where I will slow to 30-40, to take the curve.....or I may slow to 15-20 for the whole thing in the winter when it's snow covered. I know the road, I know what I can safely drive it at. Could I hit a deer at 60 ( or 30 )and crash ? sure....just like I could hit one at 70 on the interstate where 70 is 'legal'. Clearly, if it's an issue of safety, the only safe speed is zero. WHY go for half safety ?

Point is, lawmakers, and their sub-minions ( like the hwy dept ) make arbitrary and stupid decisions all the time...(and in the case of speed limits, often JUST for revenue enhancement)......and most folks simply ignore them.

It's very easy to sit in an office in the capital and cook up a fool law.....it's a whole nuther ball of wax to get it enforced. I mean think about it for a minute......WHO in their right mind is going to come to your door and ask to inventory your pantry ? Would you let them ? I'd put a shotgun in their face faster than they could open their mouth, and march them off my property......and that would probably be one of the more pleasant experiences they'd have in a day's 'work'. WHO would take their place at the end of the day when they resign ( or were buried ) ?

8. kirkmcquest

kirkmcquest Well-Known Member

I wasn't referring to anyone here....or the OP's mother ( God no!). I was referring to the government's prohibition of storing food! ( if there is one )

9. AngieM2

AngieM2 Big Front Porch advocate Supporter

Then Kirk, sorry I miss read the intent in the deleted post.
    I'm glad you clarified.

10. Pelenaka

Pelenaka Well-Known Member

Hmm I wonder if that is a new law.
    I know when I moved there in '86 there had been a recent TP scare - no sure what sparked it but geez everyone was hoarding TP.
    It was extremely funny to me a New Yorker that I had to carry TP in my beach bag.

~~ pelenaka ~~

11. mypatriotsupply

mypatriotsupply Well-Known Member

I imagine if they ever do pass a law limited the amount of food one is able to store we will be the first ones in trouble!

12. chickenista

chickenista Original recipe! Supporter

In times of war/stress there have been laws passed and arrests made etc..http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-free/pdf?res=940CEEDD1238EE32A25753C3A9639C946996D6CF

There are 'executive orders' on the books that can be enacted that will allow the government to seize foods etc..
    'They' encourage you to store food and water etc.. it is much easier for you to store it for them then for them to have to store it all.

By the way.. his stockpile of good is interesting.. not enough veg though.

Last edited: May 12, 2011
  13. ne prairiemama

ne prairiemama Planting the garden Supporter

Wonder how they figure amounts? per person or just an amount? Our 2 weeks of food would be alot more than most....

14. Ernie

Ernie Well-Known Member

They're not going to be able to enforce those laws.

Would you just let them drive away with your food or livestock knowing that your family will be starving in the next 6 weeks? Not while you're armed.

Given the choice of dying of starvation versus shooting government officials, I think they're going to find this a hard law to enforce.

15. suitcase_sally

suitcase_sally Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm surprised he could fit that much food in his house. Nearly 3500 lbs of sugar in its various forms? Was he running a still?

Maybe they thought he was going to sell the wares for a major profit.

16. Elffriend

Elffriend Well-Known Member

30 pounds of gumdrops but only 20 pounds of chocolate? What were they thinking???

17. Wags

Wags Well-Known Member Supporter

So the guy was either a good prepper, or he was planning on selling on the black market.

18. InvalidID

InvalidID Too Complicated For Cable

Laws limiting the amount of food you can store? Sure, I limit the amount of candy the kids can hide in their rooms, don't want ants. As for the .Gov... Not likely. In this area it'd be a rough days work trying to collect from folks. One likely to end in permanent vacation if you drove down the wrong 2 miles long driveway.

I think it would be awhile before they passed a law like that though. Here in Washington we have a law on the books (Because of Katrina horror stories) says the feds CAN NOT decide to disarm us in the event of an emergency.
    I'd think they only way to enforece food storage laws would be to disarm people first.

19. mypatriotsupply

mypatriotsupply Well-Known Member

Now...I'm sure it was probably just some low-level employee, but I always find it interesting when "Official" people visit our site. I've had several visits from NASA folks, and occasionally law enforcement organizations. But now the Arizona Supreme Court is looking for seed saving information :)

[​IMG]

I found this a bit humorous so figured I would share :)

20. Wags

Wags Well-Known Member Supporter

Well at least someone who works there has an interest in getting themselves prepared