How much does it cost to spay/neuter a cat in your area?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by flutemandolin, Jan 3, 2005.

1. flutemandolin

flutemandolin mark an eight, dude!

I have two indoor cats, a male and a female, that are "coming of age" and need to get fixed SOON! The vet here charges $95 for a female, $65 for a male. Is that a typical price? It seems a bit high to me.

2. jackie c

jackie c Well-Known Member

Thats a really good price.They want over $200 for all the work up and spaying, here in my area.

3. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Yeah, thats a pretty decent price. You might check with your local humane society tho. Some of them will help with low cost spay and neuter clinics or with paying part of the cost for you.

4. second_noah

second_noah Local Yokel

Most of the vets around here require you to have at least 3 vaccines and a fecal BEFORE they will spay your cat. It usually runs about 100 for females and 80 for males PLUS the cost of the aforementioned stuff...

Kinda irritates me because I can't afford that, but every dough head in this county that doesn't want the cats that THEY didn't have fixed dump them out at my house for me to do it.

I wish we had a spay/neuter clinic that you could just bring em, they'd fix em, and you take em home- no questions asked and for less than 50 bucks per cat. Personally, all I do for any cat that comes here is get them a rabies vaccine and spay/neuter *IF* I can afford it, then re-release. It would be nice for my dogs too cost wise.

I don't even like cats that much! Go figure. I must have SUCKER written in flashing neon on my forehead.

5. katlupe

katlupe Off-The-Grid Homesteader Supporter

It usually runs that, plus they make you get all those shots if you haven't been there before. I take my animals to low cost neuter program at a area animal shelter and it cost $35. plus they get all their shots. I have to leave them off early in the morning and pick them up the same day. They are still asleep when you bring them home. And it helps the shelter too.

6. inc

inc Well-Known Member

"Kinda irritates me because I can't afford that, but every dough head in this county that doesn't want the cats that THEY didn't have fixed dump them out at my house for me to do it."

some farm owner claims that they fix every tomcat they can catch with a green elastrator band, same as for goats.
    of course catching the cat and holding it must be a chore if this is true.im not recommending this but it seems just a symtom of th e aggravation a lot of people feel about loose cats.
    toms hang around, beat up YOUR cats, eat thier food, eat YOUR chickens, and pee on the bales a lot.
    it would be alrigth to have cats around outside if they just wouldnt breed so much.
    the problem is the females cant be elastrated. its really too bad that there is not a homemade I.U.D. (intra uterine device) like used by women into the 80's. i think most of the older ones were like a copper coil; the coil shape is what held it in place, i think it had to be made of copper (maybe plastic???) the idea has ancient roots n the bedouin nomads of arabia, who used to place an apricot or peach pit in teh uterus of a camel to keep it from concieveing (probably a milking thing)
    the males in the desert roam free so there is no control of the offspring unless this is done. when fertility was wanted, they took it out.

7. Sarah J

Sarah J Well-Known Member

Holy Cow! Around here it costs about $20 for full vaccinations and then another $20 for the neuter. Spays are higher at $40 because they have to go *in*, but JEEZ - over $100??? No wonder people don't bother with them anymore!!! :no: Makes you want to go learn to do it yourself like the farm animals...I'm not sure elastrator bands would work on a cat, though...too small an area, I'd think... :eek: but I don't know...my dog kills all the cats it sees - I'd rather find a way to neuter the mice... :haha:

Sarah

8. tallpines

tallpines Well-Known Member

female is $75---shots are extra

9. john#4

john#4 Well-Known Member

Some places here for low income, $35.00 and that includes shots. ( cat spay)
    John#4

10. Tracy in Idaho

Tracy in Idaho Well-Known Member Supporter

That's unbelievable.....

I just had three females spayed last week -- $52 each, and I got a 10% discount for doing 3 or more at a time.

Males are $19.

Glad my vet doesn't gouge like that!

My 12 yr old Anatolian was in the hospital for a week and the bill only came to $250!

Tracy

11. jackie c

jackie c Well-Known Member

I should add to my post that the visit is $30, examination $30, shots $60, plus they spay or neuter around $100. Also depends if the animal is in heat, extra for that too, plus tax of course :rolleyes: So it comes out to over $200! Highway robbery! Dogs, well lets just say, double! There should be an angry icon!Grrrr.

12. flutemandolin

flutemandolin mark an eight, dude!

Yeah, no wonder there are so many cats running around, hardly anyone in this county could afford to have them fixed! This vet also requires rabies and distemper shots at about $15 apiece, never mind that these are INDOOR cats and the likelihood of them getting these diseases is low. :no: If I could afford it, I would take the big yellow tomcat that hangs around outside and have him done at the same time; that would help the cat population problem around here. Of course a .22 would help but dang it, I get attached to some of these critters! :haha:

I'm going to call around and see if I can get a better deal. Maybe if I bring them both in at once there might be a discount.

13. GoldenMom

GoldenMom Well-Known Member

I'm a small animal vet in the "big" city. OK so Des Moines is as close as it gets to "big" in central Iowa. Our price for a regular (pet) spay is $205. This includes (required) pre-anesthetic profile including FeLV/FIV test, pain meds, laser fee, and the surgery. Shots are extra. A regular neuter costs $132 including all of the above. We do have a couple of clients who trap feral cats/have barn kitties (not too many barn kitties IN Des Moines!) and we charge them about $40-$50 for a neuter, shots, and FeLV/FIV test and about $50-$60 for a spay, shots, and FeLV/FIV test. We can't charge this for "regular pet" clients as we rarely break even at this cost (heck the FeLV/FIV test cost US about $20!).

14. Tracy in Idaho

Tracy in Idaho Well-Known Member Supporter

Maybe that's the difference -- my vet is an old "country" vet (actually used to be a horse vet) and he doesn't "require" that you have any shots or bloodwork done -- especially on barn cats! Like I told him, now that they are fixed, there's a 99% chance they will get eaten or disappear in the next year! :rolleyes:

Neither does he charge an examination fee... I think I'll keep him! <g>

Tracy

15. Kris in MI

Kris in MI Well-Known Member Supporter

around here it depends on whether your vet is located in hicksville (ie private country practice in their own backyard) or in the city. City vets won't even think of surgery until they have done an exam ($45 and you can prove the animal is up to date on all vaccinations under the sun. And if you give your own vacs, forget it, not good enough). Then the spay/neuter will depend on size of animal (how much anesthetic is needed) and whether it is a male or female. Don't know what they currently charge, but 8 years ago when I was asking around in was $75 for a male dog/$50 for male cat and $100 for female dog/$75 or so for female cat.

We now live outside of hicksville and I use the hicksville vet (whom I love because they are so used to farm dogs and barn cats). Haven't had any female animals done, and have one dog who was neutered by the humane society before we adopted him, but my two male barn cats were only $35 each, no exam required and when I said I gave my own shots (with the exception of rabies, which I requested the vet do while the cats were there) that was a-ok with them.

16. WanderingOak

WanderingOak Well-Known Member

I got my cat from a shelter. They paid for the initial exam and half the spaying ($75.00). Of course, I paid $60.00 for the operational costs of the shelter when I adopted her, so I didn't get that big a bargain.

17. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

Just about what we paid(25/60),but labs/vaccinations bump it up. We just told em to give all the shots they need,dont think we did any labs.

I agree those prices being quoted are pretty stiff.Our vet gives 10% off for several hundred dollar bills paid in cash on discharge,10% off for seniors.Nice on a 2 thousand dollar cancer surgery bill.

18. Cheri in NY

Cheri in NY Well-Known Member

Last year when I was calling around, the price for female cats was $85-$100 and shots on top of that. Males were a bit less, like $65 with shots extra. I was told about a program for low income families that fixes cats, female or male, shots, flea dip, ear mite treatment and trimmed their claws for $25 per animal. What a bargain!!! They also treated dogs at a slightly higher price. We did have to travel to the nearest drop off mobile unit about 30 miles away early in the morning and then later to get them...but when you have one income and five stray cats, it was worth it. The name of the program is "Pet Pals" and they go around at different locations from about April to October. Their main base is in Scotia, if I remember right. You are considered "low income" if you qualify for a number of things such as HEAP, food stamps, etc. We qualify, but don't use any of the programs except the pet program. We also use the rabies clinic each summer when it comes close enough in the county. It is either free of they ask for donations.

19. pcdreams

pcdreams Well-Known Member

you might check if you have a local no kill shelter. The one here offers a spay/nuter certificate for a donation (typically $35).

20. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

We have a wonderful group of people in this county who offer FREE spaying/neutering for pets of low income families. Five of my cats came from this group as they also foster strays. I think this is a great program and wish other areas would start the same thing.