How much does a jersey cost in Oregon?

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by judah13, Jun 26, 2004.

1. judah13

judah13 Guest

I live across the river from Portland. I can get a 4 year old jersey due to freshen in august. They want $1200.00 for her. Is this a good price? They initially said 600 so I was a bit surprised at the increase. Shes a nice looking cow but I have no idea what the going price is.

2. willow_girl

willow_girl Very Dairy

What's the reason for doubling the price? That would make me kind of suspicious!

Since the market varies from place to place, I can't provide much insight as far as the price (I'm in Michigan). However, in case someone from your area reads the post, it might be helpful to provide them with a little more info about the cow's history. Is she a family cow or from a commercial dairy? Why is she being sold? What's her health history? Are any records available regarding her production, butterfat content or somatic cell count? Etc.

I have seen Jerseys go anywhere from $550 (which is what I paid for my girl, bought outright from her previous owner :) ) to almost $2,000 for a registered springer at a dairy auction.

3. sHES A FAMILY COW. Gives about 3 to 4 gallons a day. I think the initial price was from the wife who neglected to talk to her husband.

4. whodunit

whodunit Well-Known Member Supporter

The people we get milk from had a Jersey for sale and they wanted $550 which I think was a bargin. I normally see them go for 800-1000 here in northern Idaho.

I know this cow was in perfect health and gave near 7 gallons a day, wonderful milk.

Mrs Whodunit

5. bbmae

bbmae Member

I live in central Oregon and it sounds pretty steep to me. Although the market is pretty high right now I can't believe thay want quite that much for her. She is a really good age, but if I were you I would keep checking around. Unless you are particularly attached to getting this one I would keep looking around. I personally wouldn't pay over 900 for her, but a cow is worth more to the person selling it than to the person buying it. Kind of like anything else you buy, it is only worth however much you are willing to pay. I do know you can find cheaper ones though.Good luck.