How much does a cattle half sell for ?

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by tsdave, Jan 17, 2005.

1. tsdave

tsdave Grand Marshal

I am thinking of selling cattle by halves and I was wondering what the going price is. This would be person to person. They pay processing. Any numbers appreciated. Also please your general location. Thanks .

2. mommymushbrain

mommymushbrain Well-Known Member

We just bought a quarter cattle, completely processed, here in Arkansas for $333 last weekend. :)

3. tsdave

tsdave Grand Marshal

about how many pounds total is that ~150 for the quarter ?

(edited to reflect a quarter)

4. pointer_hunter

pointer_hunter Well-Known Member

My Uncle sells his anywhere between 1.25-1.75 just for the meat. It depends on who he sells to. It then costs .25-.35 for the processer to cut/wrap/quick freeze. This is all per pound in Michigan.

5. JeffNY

JeffNY Seeking Type

Regardless of how it goes, we sell it per lb. We were selling it for 2.25. However the fact we can't get rid of the other half, lowering it to 1.50 so I get about the same at the market for the entire animal (.70cents for standing weight). In otherwords id be guarenteed 750+, vs maybe getting .60 cents a lb @ standing weight. But the range would be as pointer said, sounds good.

Jeff

6. mommymushbrain

mommymushbrain Well-Known Member

Sorry I forgot that part! :p

We got 166 pounds ($2/lb). :)

It was our first time buying like this - quarter cow, home grown, etc. With all I got it was a good price, as the store meats I buy go well over that in average. Heck, even the cheap fatty hamburger these days goes for $1.89/lb on average! Now I have a huge freezer full of GOOD meats. :D

7. travlnusa

travlnusa Well-Known Member

We sell at $2.25/lb hanging weight. Customer pays processing.

8. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

I sell at $1.85 hanging weight, plus processing. Split sides (which I hate doing, they are a pain) are $1.95. If you buy the whole beef, it's $1, live weight.

Jena

9. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

The local locker plant that butchers most of the cattle in a wide area here can find a buyer for an extra half if they have a little notice ahead of time. They also run a frozen meat Mkt, and buy some for them selves.

10. genebo

genebo Well-Known Member Supporter

I found that around here, in central Virginia, regular beef sells for $1.20 live, $2.00 hanging.

Grass fed Angus brings $2.50 hanging. Plus processing.

I plan to offer my all natural grass fed Dexter at $3.00 hanging for a side.

Genebo
    Paradise Farm

11. herefordman

herefordman Well-Known Member

Around here we're lucky to get around $1.30 per pound hanging weight and cut and wrap adds about 41 cents per pound.
    And exras like getting patties made or kill surcharges are also added.

12. RdoubleD

RdoubleD Active Member

We get $2.50 hanging weight then the buyer pays for cut and wrap.

13. herefordman

herefordman Well-Known Member

RdoubleD where in WA are you ? And what are you selling ?
    I sell Hereford near Bellingham, WA and there's no way you could get $2.50 per pound anywhere near us.
    Our halves are generally around 375 lbs hanging.

14. lilsassafrass

lilsassafrass Well-Known Member

$ 2.50/lb , hanging here, we pay processing but specialty needs are extra .. patties , balogna, hot dogs , ring balogna plus we deliever with in 20 mile radius
    unless the buyer wants to visit the farm ..thats whole, half or split half .. I agree those are a pain , though our butcher does the work , I make the buyer who only wants a quarter find the other buyer .for teh other ... other wise will not sell split half ....

Paula
    hyde park farm

15. Christiaan

Christiaan Dutch Highlands Farm

I'm near Arlington WA and raise one grassfed Highland steer per year. I get $3.00 / lb hanging wieght, buyer pays cut and wrap ($0.42/lb last year) and half of kill fee. They pickup at meatcutters. Have no trouble finding buyers. Know a couple who sell Highlands that are corn finished for $2.69 + c/w near Sedro-Woolley. I can't imagine selling at $1.30, that's practically giving it away.

16. Kellkell

Kellkell Well-Known Member

I pay $2.89/lb hanging weight for a hindquarter. Includes kill, butcher & flash freeze. I think it is @2.29/lb for a forequarter.