How much do you work away from the home?

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by Zookeeper, Jan 9, 2007.

1. Zookeeper

Zookeeper Well-Known Member

I am curious how many homesteaders or wanna-be's are working full-time jobs away from the homestead. In our case, I am home full-time while DH works full-time, but we still never have nearly enough time to do all the things we would like to be doing in regards to homesteading.

Of course, our ultimate goal in doing homesteading is to pay off all debt (we do not have a mortgage but we do have a few more years to pay for our land), retire on our own terms and hopefully early, and work only when and where we feel like it...which will probably be mostly at home. We are of course alreay enjoying the healthier lifestyle that goes along with country living...but we get very frustrated at how long it seems to be taking us to set things up the way we really want them. Sometimes it feels like we're just "dabbling" in homesteading. I guess it's a start.

So I'm curious...what is your situation? If you have been able to become truly independent, I would love to hear your story...what did you start with, how long did it take, what sacrifices did you make, did you have help, what would you do different, was it worth it, etc.

2. menollyrj

menollyrj Joy Supporter

I work full-time teaching high school & DH works a small farm with his father as well as takes care of our 2yo daughter, 4 head of cattle, 2 rabbits, & 60 (+/-) chickens. He was deployed to Iraq and when he returned home a year ago, the last thing we wanted was for him to go back to the daily grind of commuting/out-of-town travel/40+ hours a week. He is planning to go back to work full-time (or high part-time hours) this fall, but only to save money to hopefully buy his homeplace/family farm at some point in the future.

We are not independent, but I do manage our food budget closely, and garden extensively. I often feel like you, that we are dabbling rather than jumping in with both feet. However, I think that most of us here do not have the financial resources/situation to be completely independent and debt free, but I also think that most of us here are working with that goal in mind. It matters not where you are on the journey, as long as you are taking steps along the way to your final goal.

You are not alone in your musings about being a homesteader or a "dabbler." Don't worry about it! Les Brown once said, "All you can do is all you can do, just be sure you do all you can do." (I don't remember who Les Brown is, but I liked the quote...)

-Joy

3. Aintlifegrand

Aintlifegrand Well-Known Member

We both work full time. Our day starts at 5:00 though and we are usually home by 3:00. We both work the exact same schedule. Our son ( almost 20) is home during the day to handle any needs there. He works for us at the moment while we are finishing the house, but soon will leave the nest as he finishes school. We both will retire this year as the house is completed and we don't need the large incomes to pay for building materials anylonger. I can hardly wait...it has been a long 4 years, doing without even the basics,working and building this homestead up to support and supplement our retirement. It was so very worth it...though as we feel very fortunate. We know many of our friends will have to/choose to work another 20 years or so before they can retire. We sacrificed everything so we would have no debt, no land payment, no mortgage...and it has made the process move slower than if we had borrowed the money..but four years isn't so bad. It worked for us. I would build less house than we did if I did it over again and buy more land, I would put the orchard in first instead of waiting 4 years. Not much else though.

4. Ninn

Ninn Custom Crochet Queen

Sometimes it feels like "just dabbling" here, too. DH works a full time job until the weather gets bad. Then he gets part time hours and partial unemployment for about 3 months. This year, the weather stayed good, so he is still working full time right now. I am a full time SAHM who homeschools. We are planning our very first veggie garden right now, as well as raising a full crop of kids and grandkids. Except for Joe, who is in the army, all of our kids live either at home or nearby. DD#1 actually wants us to buy a large piece of land and put several trailers on it-make our own family compound or something. DD#2 will be home in July and says the same. They all want Mom and Dad nearby. The grandbabies will never be too far away that they can't just walk over to see Ninn and Boppy, either.

Our ultimate plan includes a small farm, goats, chickens, possibly sheep, and DS#2 wants llamas( i have no idea why, he just does). We will probably grow ham and beef as well. (if i refer to them as animals, they will be pets and not food, so.....)

Right now, we are doing whatever can be done to learn the skills needed to make this happen while we still live in the trailer park. Gardening, composting, canning, etc. It all goes toward what we want in the end. It will likely be 15 years before we can afford to buy land. Every little bit helps.

5. sullen

sullen Question Answerer

DH has a full time job because he has no interest in "homesteading" as an entire lifestyle. He wants to use the land, but he is a professional and likes to spend money so he needs to keep his job. I am the one interested in growing things and animals to feed my family well. At the rate the stores are poisoning everyone, homesteaders will be the only ones left in 50 years.

6. NCGirl

NCGirl Well-Known Member

I work because I need insurance. I will never be able to "not work" due to that one fact.

7. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

I don't work and haven't for about seven years now due to health issues. My hubby works fulltime and, since we moved to our farm, has a 45 minute commute (one way). He will be able to retire next year at age 50 with a great pension that includes insurance. When he retires he said he's never going to leave the farm again.

8. kars1995

kars1995 Well-Known Member

Hubby works fulltime. And I start a part-time job tomorrow morning. YEA! I think it'll be fun. Three mornings a week for 3 or 4 hours doing clerical stuff. I'll be here when the kids leave for school and I'll be here when they get home. Wish me luck! :)

9. hengal

hengal Well-Known Member

DH works full time in town. I work full time in the city (1 hour away).

10. MelissaW

MelissaW Well-Known Member

I work 20 hours a week, and volunteer 5 hours. Hubby works 50 hours a week. I was home full time for about 7 years. We both like to work hard, so we manage a very large garden, fruit trees, and poultry along with paid work. There are nights, though (especially in spring and summer), when we get up at 4:30am, and don't take a break until 9:00pm. I can't imagine running a self-sustaining farm while working away from home this much. Anyone who does it must be pretty exhausted.

11. michiganfarmer

michiganfarmer Max Supporter

50 to 70 hours per week. way to much

12. Peacock

Peacock writing some wrongs Supporter

I don't. [​IMG]

LOL -- just being a smart aleck. I can't imagine keeping up with anything more a small suburban house and working full time someplace else! Wow.

13. donsgal

donsgal Nohoa Homestead

DH and I work together as insurance inspectors OUT of our home, but not IN our home. We are on the road four or five times a week. We don't have a mortgage, but we have some pretty impressive credit card debt due to a period of unemployment a couple of years ago. We are working hard to pay that off.

Once we are debt free, I expect that we will still work outside the home although I am hopeful to be able to do more money producing activities on the homestead once it is in full operation. I'd like to be able to reduce my outside employment from working 14 hours a day down to just a normal 8 or so.

Donsgal

14. Jenn

Jenn Well-Known Member Supporter

Was working a lot- 3 days/wk or so- before we moved. Was drawing back from that garden and other volunteer posts and cramming away money for the move and new garden etc. Now not yet working, and number crunching to see if I can afford not to start work again. Think we can (DH works but will retire in a few years and we're unsure if we've enough put by to fully retire) but if I find a pleasant part time job once I'm sort of done starting up the garden and landscaping I'll start.

15. kitaye

kitaye Well-Known Member

Both of us work 36-45 hours a week away from home. We also spend 3 hours a week in physio/ Chiropractic visits. We are currently thinking about taking a winter Tai Chi class but I'm just not sure about it yet.

16. TNHermit

TNHermit Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm in malls all over the country 3 out of 4 weeks a month. I've been home for a month on break. Its scary. A guy could get to like staying at home, got a lot done. I'm ready to stay home anytime but no one wants to pay for good work. So I'll be off again in another week or so.

17. hoofinitnorth

hoofinitnorth Well-Known Member

Husband works full-time away from home. I used to work 80+ hours per week away from home too. Then I started working more at home then got sick and haven't worked in a while. :( If I ever get to go back to work, I will probably work from home and not be away more than 20 hours per week.