Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a goat vet :) I haven't called her yet because I can't have her come out until I have the $. I want to have her come out and test 6 goats for CAE/Johnnes/CL - or I can load them all up in my horse trailer and bring them in.

I can't decide if I should have her come out or if I should go in, because I might as well just have her be the vet for all of our animals and it might be good for her to see our place before she potentially gets a midnight call for birthing difficulties.

How much do vets usually charge for testing and farm visits vs how much if you bring the animals in? And how much would it stress the goats to bring them in? Don't want them to dry up.....

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Vet costs vary tremendously - the only way to find out costs is to ask. I'd give her a call and lay out the situation the way you did here. It will certainly be cheaper to bring them in, but I've found that vets like it when you're upfront, same as anybody, really. :)

·
Premium Member
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was wondering if I could do that with a new vet, lovinglife, or if that's only allowed with a vet you're already established with? I'm an RN so I do know how to draw blood on people. Never done it on goats. Do they jump around and throw terrible fits when you're drawing the blood?

·
Registered
179 Posts
I couldn't tell you about the cost of the testing itself, just what our vet charges to come out. It's $45 for the farm call, then each animal's exam is $35. On top of that is the cost of any medications or vaccines he administers. He will use stuff we have on hand to save us money if it's the same as what he would have pulled off his truck, which is really nice and has saved us money on occasion. For example, he sold me a bottle of BoSe off his truck (I wanted to keep some on hand) for about the same amount one stick is, he then used that bottle to give all three calves the shot. Saved me about 20 bucks!

I can't remember if the vet told me this or if I read it somewhere, but you may be able to just pay for the blood draw, then send the sample in to a lab yourself for the actual testing.

You can call the office and get prices and talk to the vet or their staff long before having them come out. I did a ton of calling around first trying to find large animal vets that do goats and cattle, then getting prices. And that was before we even purchased the calves. The vet appreciates you doing your homework before needing them. You also won't know if you have enough money saved if you don't call first to find out how much your vet's visit will cost.

It is good to have them out before you need them at midnight. With our vet, you don't get his cell number until he has been to your farm and established the vet/client relationship.

Good luck!

HDAcres

·
Premium Member
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK I finally got up the nerve to call the vet. Why on earth would I be nervous about calling a vet? Anyway - they said I can draw the blood and bring it in but the only place that tests for CL is Texas A&M and the shipping would be $65. So no......maybe I won't do that right now. They're looking up the cost of the CAE and Johnnes and will call me back.

I'm going to switch all of our animals over to this vet - why have a "city slicker" vet take care of our dogs and cats when we can just have one vet who takes care of all the animals and who can make house calls?

·
Registered
266 Posts
I know with our vet they will send all blood samples out for testing anyway. They'll also charge 5 times what the actually test should cost. I've never had them do it, but I've talked to them about it. They'll charge for the blood draw, then the testing, which includes a very high shipping fee and high testing fee.

Vets are great to have and use when necessary, but if you have the knowledge to do it yourself, why pay for it. Draw blood, put in red top tube, ship properly to the appropriate lab mentioned on this site.

One example I have is with fecal testing. I can get a sample, take to the vet 30 minutes away (1 hour total drive), pay $18 per sample, wait a week, and finally get results on the phone that don't include actual numbers. Or, I can get a sample, pack it on ice, fill out the form for MidAmerica Ag, pay about $8 shipping at the local post office, pay only $5 per sample, and have actually egg counts delivered via email in only a few days.

I have a vet for when needed, but I also save time and money anyway I can.

·
STILL not Alice
19,808 Posts
OK I finally got up the nerve to call the vet. Why on earth would I be nervous about calling a vet? Anyway - they said I can draw the blood and bring it in but the only place that tests for CL is Texas A&M and the shipping would be $65. So no......maybe I won't do that right now. They're looking up the cost of the CAE and Johnnes and will call me back.

I'm going to switch all of our animals over to this vet - why have a "city slicker" vet take care of our dogs and cats when we can just have one vet who takes care of all the animals and who can make house calls?
Their information is not accurate, and their quoted price is really crazy high.

If you just want preg check and CAE, biotracking is great.
http://www.biotracking.com/goats

Most people don't test for CL, as the tests aren't very reliable. But if you still want it (I just keep an eagle eye open for abscesses in lymph areas),
WADDL does CL testing, as well as CAE.
http://waddl.vetmed.wsu.edu/animal-disease-faq/caseous-lymphadenitis

Both of these labs are reasonably priced, and I pay nowhere NEAR $65 for shipping USPS.

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
40,254 Posts
What Pony said. Get a helper to hold the goat, draw the blood, send it yourself. The shipping will be cheaper than the vet call to the farm.

·
Super Moderator
12,837 Posts
I have always drawn blood myself and sent it in to the facilities directly. No vet needed, and VERY easy to do.

WADDL tests for CL and is where most people send samples for goats.
9.45 for CL, and I believe 6.25 for Johnes and CAE each. I no longer test for CL yearly as we are abscess free and I do test incoming animals at least 2x for CL as part of my very strict biosecurity protocol. We also do not show, so risk is very low.

Biotracking has CAE tests for 4.00. When I submit my pregnancy tests, I send in blood on everybody for CAE. I also do Johnes yearly but where I send it depends on costs... Biotracking USED to forward samples to WADDL for a fee, but they no longer do that. I either send to WADDL or drop samples off at DCPAH which is at MSU where I attend.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
We have mixed luck on drawing blood...some we get done (we always try that route first) and some we haul to the vet. I will tell you this, they will leap and carry on and make it as difficult as possible for YOU...for the vet they will stand there frozen.

·
Premium Member
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It sure is nice to have this forum to turn to for information. Thanks a bunch!

I do need to get established with the vet in case I have some sort of midnight emergency, though.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts