How much do you pay for oats?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by squirrelgirl, Jul 3, 2006.

1. squirrelgirl

squirrelgirl Active Member

Just curious how much do you pay for oats? In my area the oats are $7.85 a 50 pound bag at my local feed store and at Tractor Supply they are $11.00 a 50 pound bag. This just seems really high, so I wondered if this is normal. Thanks!

2. nduetime

nduetime I am a Christian American Supporter

I can buy them at one place for 5.00 a 50lb bag, but they are dusty and I have found desimated mice in them. At farm and fleet they are about 7.00 - 8.00 a bag but really nice and clean.

3. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Guest

I was astonished this morning at the farm supply when the customer in front of me asked for whole oats and they were quoted at $9.16 a bag. It's been a couple of years since I've used them myself, but I seem to recall they weren't terribly much more than whole corn at the time.

This is in the Gainesville, FL area.

.....Alan.

4. chris30523

chris30523 Well-Known Member

I pay 8.95 for crimped oats.The 15 percent goat pellet is only 7.35 a bag??go figure.

5. AnnaS

AnnaS Well-Known Member

Wow. I can buy certified organic cracked oats for $7.50/ 50 lbs or a regular 12% oat/corn/soybean feed for $7/100 lbs. Both locally grown- transportation costs might be adding on a lot.
    The Fleet Farm/Tractor Supply prices are about the same as the other posters.

6. homebirtha

homebirtha Well-Known Member

Oats have gone up a lot here in the past six months. Last year, I was paying about $5.50 a bag for whole oats. Now they're about $7.50. Barley has stayed the same though. Beats me?!

7. Sondra Peterson

Sondra Peterson Well-Known Member

whole oats here in N. TX $7.65 Crimped $7.95 barley $7.40

8. goatkid

goatkid Well-Known Member Supporter

Whole oats in Montana sell for $9.50 a bag. COB sells for $7.95 a bag. The best deal I can get is if I travel to Great Falls and buy goat lactation pellets for $5.00 a bag.

9. yarddog4jc

yarddog4jc Well-Known Member

They and everything else for that matter are about $9.95 around here. North Fla.