How much do you feed your pygmies/ N. Dwarves?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by jen74145, Dec 11, 2006.

1. jen74145

jen74145 Well-Known Member Supporter

How much does the average little goat go through during the day? And how much does it multiply when she's feeding kids/milking?
    Thanks!

2. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

Daily ration is 1/4 cup for mine, and that is only during late fall/winter/early spring when there's no grazing. Then when flushing I gradually increase to 1 cup untill bred, then on down back to 1/4 cup. During last month of pregnancy, it starts at 1 cup and gradually changes to 2 cups. This stays at 2 cups till her udder develops to accomodate her babies, then I feed according to that. I don't even feed grain in the summer unless they are pregnant/lactating, and I used to not feed hay because they didn't need it... But I'll have to feed hay this year as I'll have too many goats on the same amount of land...

3. PygmyLover

PygmyLover nigerian & pygmy breeder

for my pygmies I feed them around 1/2 to 1 cup when dry

once bred they go down to 1/2 to nothing
    at 60 days I feed them 1 cup
    at 120 days I cut them down to 1/2 (don't want big kids to hard for them to delivor).

This came from a study I read about.

4. moonspinner

moonspinner Well-Known Member

This is kind of a loaded question because you need to consider your entire feeding program: type of grain, type of hay and how nutritious it is, are they on pasture and what kind, the condition your goats are in, etc. I can only speak for my NDs. My open does get one cup a day of a custom feed mix from my feed store to which I add BOSS and alfalfa pellets. They are on a timothy/brome hay with some orchard and trefoil mixed in. Limited pasture. They are supplemented over half a year with a variety of browse too. None of mine are ever overweight.
    When does are pregnant I work up to two cups a day by kidding time and then depends on how much milk they're giving, number of kids they have, etc.