Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a curiosity. We have Nigerian dwarf goats (plus one angora and one sheep.) Anyway, what we feed them:

We have 3 bucks, and altogether I estimate they're between 150-180 pounds. They get either 3 flakes of Timothy hay, or 2 flakes of Timothy hay and 1/2 to 1 bucket of Chaffhaye (not sure how to estimate how much Chaffhaye that is!)

For the does, we have 6 does, 1 (hopefully!) pregnant doe, 1 (small) angora, 1 (sort of big compared to most of our goats) sheep, 1 7-month old doeling, and 1 3-month old buckling. Altogether I estimate they're 520-550 pounds. They get either 10-12 flakes of Timothy hay each day, or 8 flakes of hay and 1-2 buckets of Chaffhaye.

I know we're not feeding them too much or too little, as their body conditions scores are pretty good. We also give them loose minerals often and the does are getting a little bit of grain every day or two, especially a doe we're planning to breed in a month or so. I'm just curious what works for you and how similar/different it is to what we do! :)

·
Registered
671 Posts
I'm giving free choice grass hay and loose minerals as well as around a cup of 12% sweet feed/whole corn mix per goat per day.

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Our young does get 1 cup Noble Goat each am & pm. In between - free choice alfalfa hay and grass hay. We also keep dried mulberry leaves available for them in a bushel basket. We raked the mulberry leaves up this fall and stored them in feed bags. During the week they sometimes get a split open garden pumpkin or a Tablespoon or two of sunflower seeds - not every day. They always have goat minerals free choice.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts