Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
It's hard to say...I've never really measured it. I would guess 5-6 tablespoons to a quart, depending on the goat. Let the milk stand undisturbed in the fridge for about 3 days then skim off cream and freeze until you have enough to make butter.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
TexCountryWoman said:
It's hard to say...I've never really measured it. I would guess 5-6 tablespoons to a quart, depending on the goat. Let the milk stand undisturbed in the fridge for about 3 days then skim off cream and freeze until you have enough to make butter.
Thank you I wanted to know because I wanted to try butter looks like it would take a long time to do that with one goat :haha:

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I am just milking two right now and am getting about 10 gallons a week without even feeding them heavy. The woman I bought them from had only been milking them once a day, so i started milking twice a day to bump up their production and keep them from drying up. They both kidded in early spring and are slowing down in milk production. I just bought these two last month and don't know what they will produce next spring after they kid again...but I can't wait to find out!......PS..the cream adds up faster than you think.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Well how much cream you get depends on how much fat you want in the cream. Heavy cream is 35%, light cream is around 20% and half and half is 10%. (or something like that)

As you can guess you'll get 3 times as much half and half cream than you would whipping cream. So which one? hehe. Anyways, you want to make butter.

Last weekend I had 3 gallons of milk, and I made almost 1lbs of butter. The cream I got was about 1 quart + 1 cup. So it's almost 2 cups/gallon, or 1/2 cup per quart.

This is with a cream separator, I don't have the patience to skim off what little floats to the top.

More than you ever wanted to know about cream:

http://www.foodtv.ca/feature/ontheburner/article5_2002_05_07.asp

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I guess those cream seperators really work! Thanks for the link. And to think I was so thrilled by the extra cream I was getting because I am milking LaManchas now instead of Alpines (I do notice the difference). I don't have the volume of milk though to warrant a separator.

·
Registered
248 Posts
They sure do! It's really amazing to watch it work.

We really don't have the volume to warrant one either. :D I'm only milking 1 goat and she's giving about 10lbs/day, so I save milk for a couple of days then turn it into cream. With only 2 of us 10lbs/day means we're active cheese factory or we make some ice cream. In the summer I vote icecream!! :D

·
Registered
960 Posts
We like to let it sit for 3 days also but we don't make butter or cheese yet. We are also looking for our Aussie pup. Do you have any available Tex Country Woman?

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
No pups now. Now that I have found this board, I will have a place to post whenever I have anything for sale or trade. Australian Shepards are great working dogs though, they are protective of the farmstead, but do like to herd animals...alot. They really need to have a "job". One good one can load a bull or a hog into a trailer by himself, or clear the gate of cattle so you can drive through without any slipping out...things like that...quite handy pals.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts