How much corn does it take to finnish a pig

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by johnghagen, Dec 30, 2004.

1. johnghagen

johnghagen Well-Known Member

:) We have unlimited amount of shelled corn as we live next to a grain elevator so we was wondering if i bought some 25# pigs if i fed them ground corn how much would it take and can you do this and supplement vegetables also and not buy commercial feed would it work and has anyone tryed it Thanks John

2. jackie c

jackie c Well-Known Member

Last year I got a good deal on corn and fed them that along with garden stuff most of their short lives. The meat is very sweet, and tasty. I was told it is not very high in protein, so you may want to add some type of bean feed as well, soybean is excellent.

I bought 100, 50lb. bags of cracked corn for 6 pigs, one was butchered for a pig roast about half way through summer.

3. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

If you are feeding straight corn definatly give a supplement. With a good supplement and free feed corn it should take about 10 bushels to get them to 220 lbs.

4. BobK

BobK Well-Known Member

We raise our pigs on flour and corn screenings from a local flour mill. We mix this with a bit of COB and some soy meal to bump the protein up to the 14-16% level. I do supplement with a mineral mix to make sure all trace requirements are met. We also soak the feed between feedings so each batch soaks for about 12 hours.....you'll find that they digest more of the corn and grains if soaked vs non-soaked feed. The pork is delicious and you will be very happy with the end product.

For three pigs we purchase 1300-1500 lbs of flour screenings and this leaves enough to feed out the turkeys with the same mixture.