Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got an awsome deal on shelled loose corn ($75 ton). How much corn can I fed without it being a problem. I plan on soaking it for a few days before feeding. They have pasture and we feed them a grain mix. I was talking to a friend about this earlier and he said he remembers his grand pop had pigs and he fed them corn exclusively... Can this be done?
Thanks

·
Registered
276 Posts
Corn lacks enuf protein and lysene, mixing it with protein and minerals will make it a lot more efficient. I would question the quality of the corn at $75 a ton. Corn trades at 56 pounds a bushel and a bushel is worth roughly $3.35 a bushel now. With input cost what they are you would think one would need to get all they can for their grain and still hope to turn a profit. One should be able to get almost $120 for a ton of #2 shelled corn at any elevator. If I were you I would buy all you can at $75 a ton and sell it at the elevator if it is quality shelled corn. If it's for sale at a discount because of damage or mold you probably don't wanna feed it to your pigs anyhow. I don't mean to be negative but in my head something don't add up here.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the concern, but the corn comes from a very close friend, and it's great quality. He was doing me a favor...

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
I asked this not long ago and the word I got from most is that with the lack of protein the meat has a chance to be very fatty when you process them. Not to mention the lack of important minerals to keep them healthy. I am new too, so take that for what its worth.

·
Premium Member
2,860 Posts
Corn alone does not contain enough amino acids and the amino acid profile is not appropriate to support optimum growth of the pigs. In addition corn lacks enought calcium to ensure proper bone growth.

If you simply add corn on top of the current ration you will provide more energy and dilute the protein intake of the pigs, this will result in fatter pigs with less muscling.

·
Premium Member
3,201 Posts
Just got an awsome deal on shelled loose corn ($75 ton). How much corn can I fed without it being a problem. I plan on soaking it for a few days before feeding. They have pasture and we feed them a grain mix. I was talking to a friend about this earlier and he said he remembers his grand pop had pigs and he fed them corn exclusively... Can this be done?
Thanks
I feed corn as a main diet. They also have a very rich pasture.
Just butchered a 700 lb.Bluebutt boar. Sauage, liver , heart, pork chops out of this world. Pick up the bacon next week after it is cured and smoked. Butcher said for size it was the best Hog he had butchered this year. Just enough fat to make good sausage. Corn is a main diet for many farm raised pigs. I raise my own corn.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Gerold, How much pasture do you have them on and what do you do in winter? Is corn the only grain you give in addition to pasture?

·
Registered
380 Posts
I picked up a ton of cornmeal for $180. Both the cows and pigs love it. They get pumpkins,milk, whey and raw eggs (working on a way to cook them in a large quantity) bread, veggie scraps from the restaurant I work at as well. Adding the corn to the slop gives them the extra energy/ heat to compensate for the lower temperatures. Keeps them growing well during the winter. In my opinion.

Wild Roots Farms Pompey, NY.

·
Premium Member
3,201 Posts
Gerold, How much pasture do you have them on and what do you do in winter? Is corn the only grain you give in addition to pasture?
20 acres pasture now. 5 ac. plots. Wheat and Rye in one pasture, oats wheat in another, Different grass etc. in another big pasture. Peas, milo in another pasture. Still have a lot of good pasture for them.
They have lots of grasses in the winter to forage on and 20 acres of woods with hazel nuts,hickory nuts and loads of acorns this year.

Corn plus molasses a mix of vitamins plus minerals. I haven't mixed soy bean in for awhile now. They are gaining very well on the diet i have them on.
I had to cut back on the sows corn diet as they were getting to fat and will have little ones in a few weeks.
Had a problem getting organic soy so cut it out of their diet.

I did try distillers dried grains on some of the pigs a few months back. Very high protein but for some reason they just didn't do well on it.

Corn is still king for me. Produces great solid meat with just enough fat to make good sausage. I had two big hams ground into sausage with the latest hog i butchered. Going to have some really nice bacon which will be finished coming wed.

I have two 20 acre fields that is over grown with a bit of brush and different wild grasses. I would like to use them next spring if the price of pork and the demand for breeders stay good. If the market drops i will not use them and just keep the pigs i have now.

P.S. A little off tropic . Deer season opens this coming sat. Two people will bring me a young deer and get a roaster pig in return. Plan on grinding up the whole deer with pork for some nice sausage.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Wow that's a lot of pasture. haha. We feed brewers grain all summer to some feeders. I thought I was really saving money but..... I didn't do the figures on what I was buying in additional grain and was basically feeding the right amount of grain and the brewers grain was extra. They didn't grow out any faster and it cost about 20 bucks a trip to pick it up. We are not getting it anymore! Guess I will rack that one up to experience! haha. I like the deer and pork idea! Thanks for info

1 - 11 of 11 Posts