How much can it tow?

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by buck_1one, Jan 31, 2005.

1. buck_1one

buck_1one Well-Known Member

Chevy says 1500lbs up to 4000lbs depending on what you have. 4 or 6 cylinder auto vs manual 4X4 or 2X4. Also these numbers are for an empty truck. Meaning no loads in the truck.

How much will the trailer weigh? I'd guess at least 2000lbs plus two cows. How much will they weigh? 1000lbs each? That gives you 4000lbs already. I would say this will be pushing everything that poor little truck has and maybe more. Trust me it is no fun trying to tow something at the very max,or beyond, that a truck will do. Plus this will only shorten the life of the truck.

I had a 94 Ranger rated at 5000lbs for towing and was towing a trailer and a F150 home. It did it but it REALLY put a strain on the engine.

Hope this helps
    Bill

2. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

Having had an 1992 s10 with the small v6,I would say no way,unless you want to kill the truck,and maybe yourself too,depending on the speed.If you want to tow 25 mph a short distance,maybe,but I wouldnt.

BooBoo

3. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

The gross combined weight is on a sticker inside the driver's door frame on most vehicles.

Your bumper will bend with only the stock trailer on behind, empty. You will need a good frame hitch.

Then, you will likely be overloaded according to the sticker, using the math other provided. This puts you on shacky ground with your insurance co & highway patrol, if they bother folks where you are.

If you need to take 2 critters to market 25 miles away once a year & you can pick good dry weather, it'll probably work ok; if this is a weekly run in rain & snow & a bunch of other stuff thrown into the back of the truck & a passenger as well, no way.

You are at the least on the edge tho, if not over it.

--->Paul

4. dosthouhavemilk

dosthouhavemilk Well-Known Member Supporter

Thanks for the input. It was going to be used to haul locally, once a year to the local county fair..and maybe in town to the sale barn. Looks like I made a bad choice of vehicles. I will probably start looking for a larger truck this spring then.

Is the sticker visiable without removing the cover?

5. herefordman

herefordman Well-Known Member

the sticker is inside where the door jamb frame is, by either the hinges or latch, which is visible when you stand beside the truck with the door open, its not inside the door behind the interior panel.
    And I agree with the others, the truck is too small to be pulling loads like that.
    Cheers

6. Janon

Janon 993cc Geo Metro

Sometimes towing the load is not the problem, but stopping it once its actually rolling.

cheers,

7. retire2$

retire2$ Well-Known Member

dosthouhavemilk,

Consider how much you would spend for a larger truck to pull a trailer a few times a year. The gas, insurance, etc. saved compared to paying someone to haul the animals may work out in your favor. If your truck meets your needs 99 percent of the time I would say you made a wise investment.

8. dosthouhavemilk

dosthouhavemilk Well-Known Member Supporter

Good points...unfortunately the Chevy S10 is costing more for insurance than my little 2 door Saturn Coupe did! Crazy!
    I had wanted a more gas efficient truck, I had just hooped I could get a trailer to go with it.

9. travlnusa

travlnusa Well-Known Member

If you can not find the sticker inside the door jam, you can call a dealer with the VIN number and they can tell you the info.

Two ratings are based on the "weakest link" theory. In your case, as stated before, it will be the brakes. Keep in mind that loaed, you will be pulling more than the truck weighs.

I have used trucks that were to small to pull what I was towing, but for once a year, you can get by. If your truck has overdrive, do not use it. Stay in drive. Also, plan on your braking distance increasing by a factor of 4.

After you make your annual tow trip, have the transmission fluid flushed out and changed. Heat is what kills most auto trans.