How much b.soda is needed for a small pool??

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by greyroonie, Jun 10, 2004.

1. greyroonie

greyroonie Guest

Hello everyone,
    Wow......... this is a very helpful site, after searching for some help on how to use "chemicals" to regulate a pool, I came across here!!
    I've read answers on questions about using baking soda, I have a small pool, one of those Intex "easy set" pools, it is 12'x36", my alkalinity is registering low, now........ how much do I use for this small pool?
    I would really love any information that anyone may know about these smaller ones. Thanks a million an advance.
    Enjoy summer everyone!!

2. mikell

mikell Well-Known Member

Sooner or later you will get away from testing your pool and just go with chlorene and it will look great. Trying to balance it always missed the mark for me.

mikell

3. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

You will need to add some and retest after it is mixed. It takes quite a bit to make a big change. You still will need the clorine or bromide to kill the little varmits that grow in there. If you have a 12' diameter pool I'd start with about half a cup. You are wanting to raise the PH level, Right?

4. Gimpy_Magoo

Gimpy_Magoo Well-Known Member

Baking soda lowers the mark. get what's called "spa up" or pool up to raise the alkalinity to more acidic. Darker color with the test kit.

ALWAYS balance your pool, ALWAYS check the acidity, dont just throw chlorine in your plastic pool either. Get your alkalinity where it's supposed to be, THEN add your chlorine. test again. dont let the chlorine contact the pool plastics or it will degrade it. toss into the middle of the pool, then stir. better yet mix in water first, then dump in the pool.
    DONT use Bromide. That's for spa's only.

I use a half cup at a time to adjust Alkalinity. I filter in the evenings only also.